This Chocolate Waffle with Espresso Frozen Mousse is perfect to celebrate International Waffle Day!
This delicious waffle is perfect for a sweet treat to start your morning or as a yummy dessert! If it looks familiar to you, is because you used to be able to get it at Tamu Tamu Refreshments at Disney’s Animal Kingdom but now you can recreate it at home thanks to this recipe from Disney Parks.
So celebrate this sweet day with the perfect treat:
CHOCOLATE WAFFLE WITH ESPRESSO FROZEN MOUSSE
- 3 cups of white chocolate chips
- 4 cups of heavy cream, divided
- 3 tbsp of espresso or strongly brewed coffee
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup of water
- 2 tsp of corn syrup
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp of semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp of sugar
- 1 tbsp of baking powder
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1 3/4 cups of milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup of butter
- 1/8 cup of semisweet chocolate chips
For Espresso Mousse
- Place white chocolate chips into a medium heatproof bowl; set aside.
- Combine 1 cup heavy cream and espresso in a small saucepan over high heat; heat until very hot but not boiling. Pour hot cream over white chocolate chips, whisking until melted and smooth.
- Add egg yolks, whisking until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whip remaining 3 cups cream to stiff peaks.
- Gently fold whipped cream into white chocolate mixture until smooth.
- Dollop mousse into a lightly greased muffin tin. Freeze until hard.
For Chocolate Sauce
- Whisk together heavy cream, sugar, water, corn syrup, and cocoa in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Cook, whisking often, until sugar is dissolved.
- Lower heat to low; whisk in chocolate chips until completely melted. Keep warm until ready to use.
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl.
- Whisk together milk and egg in a separate bowl.
- Combine butter and chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 20 seconds; remove from microwave and stir for 10 seconds, then microwave 10 seconds more. Remove from microwave and stir; if chocolate isn’t melted, microwave 10 seconds more.
- Add melted chocolate and butter mixture to milk and egg mixture.
- Add wet mixture to dry ingredients, and stir until just combined.
- Cook waffles in a waffle iron according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Remove espresso mousse from freezer and dip bottom of pan in warm water to remove mousse.
- Top warm waffles with frozen espresso mousse. Drizzle with chocolate sauce and serve immediately.
Enjoy your chocolate waffle with espresso frozen mousse this International Waffle Day!
Credit: Disney Parks