Themed Entertainment Association and AECOM have released a park attendance report for the major theme parks nationwide for 2016.
Walt Disney World did not come out well. All four Disney parks show decreased numbers in visitors for the year.
- Magic Kingdom fell 0.5 percent to just under 20.4 million visitors
- Disney’s Hollywood Studios also down 0.5 percent to 10.78 million visitors
- EPCOT was down 0.7 percent to 11.7 million visitors
- Animal Kingdom was also down 0.7 percent to 10.84 million visitors
Universal Studios theme parks seemed to fair better with an overall increase.
- Universal Studios increased 4.3 percent to just under 10 million visitors
- Islands of Adventure was down 0.2 percent to 9.4 million visitors
Unsurprisingly, Sea World Orlando had huge attendance loses
- Sea World Orlando was down 7.9 percent to 4.4 million
Disneyland, the world’s second highest attended theme park next to Magic Kingdom also saw visitor declines.
- Disneyland was down 1.8 percent to just under 18 million
Jason Garcia the associate editor at Florida Trend magazine also posted this morning about the Orlando parks market share.
- Disney World’s market share slipped to 69.3% in 2016
- Down from 70% in 2015
- And down from 74% in 2009
- Universal’s market share increased to 25% in 2016
- Up from 23.% in 2015
- And up from 16% in 2009 (Pre Harry Potter Expansion)
- SeaWorld Orlando has decreased to 5.7% in 2016
- Down from 6.2% in 2015
- 2008 they had 9.1% (the height of SeaWorld Orlando popularity)
For the 1st time, Universal Orlando's share of the Orlando theme park market has risen to 25% — and Disney World's has fallen below 70%
— Jason Garcia (@Jason_Garcia) June 1, 2017
We have to assume that this is due to the extreme popularity of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios. The question remaining now…Will Pandora – The World of Avatar turn things around for Walt Disney World in 2017?
Ready to experience Disney for yourself? There are still fantastic 2017 Summer and Fall packages to be had. Fill out our form below to receive your FREE quote from one of our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners.
Want more help planning your next Disney vacation? As an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner, my goal is to help you plan the Magic your way. I create customized itineraries, book advanced dining and FastPass+ reservations, monitor for discounts for your vacation, and much much more! And did I mention that my services are FREE? Get in touch toll-free at 1-800-454-4501, via email at email@example.com or follow along on Facebook.
Source Credit : Orlando Sentinel
Let our friends at Destinations to Travel help you! Just fill out the form below and someone will be in touch!