Disney World may just be the ultimate vacation – a trip to this magical place always for fun, family time, and delicious eats. For some, though, dining is not as easy of an experience as for others – this is especially true since food allergies have become increasingly prevalent in recent years. For those with allergies, have no fear, Disney can make dining an enjoyable experience for you as well! Let’s discuss the top ten quick service dining experiences for those with food allergies.
Keep in mind that Disney recommends that you contact the dietary service department before you arrive to the Disney World Resort to ensure that things go smoothly and your needs are met. You can contact them by emailing Special.Diets@DisneyWorld.com at least 14 days in advance. Also filling out the Guest Allergy Dietary Request form that will provided in the return email from the Dietary team in advance is also recommended. Making arrangements in advance can make it so that Disney can order ingredients or already made products or mixes so that they are available when you arrive.
Speaking with the restaurant manager and/or chef upon arrival at each restaurant will also help to make your dining experience safe and enjoyable.
I will personally be taking part in all of this at the end of this year for my extended family trip! My younger sister has over 30 food allergies – but from what I have read and heard, she will have a feast available to her at Disney!
- Liberty Square Market – This open air market in Liberty Square, just outside of The Hall of Presidents offers a few selections for those with special dietary needs. Fresh fruit cups are available here on a regular basis, your only worry here should be if you are allergic to a certain kind of fruit. An allergen free baked potato is also available with advance notice – my guess here is that the regular potatoes are coated in butter before they are baked, like they are at many restaurants.
- Flame Tree BBQ – Located in Animal Kingdom Flame Tree Barbecue also offers a choice of gluten-free mac and cheese for an entrée and Enjoy Life cookies for dessert.
- Columbia Harbor House – Columbia Harbor House is known for its healthy food options for all. Those with food allergies are also included in this! Here Allergy Free Chicken Tenders, free of the top 8 allergens, as well as gluten-free mac and cheese are offered. On the downside, if you have a seafood allergy, it may be best to avoid this location since many of the regular menu items are seafood based.
- Plaza Ice Cream Parlor – This place is all about ice cream, and it is nice to see that those with dairy, and even soy allergies can be included in the fun of a cold ice cream on a hot or even cold Florida day. Rice Dream and Tofutti frozen desserts are available here.
- ABC Commissary – Dine with the stars at ABC Commissary! The whole family can enjoy a meal here – including those with allergies. For entrees those with allergies can choose between hamburgers on a tapioca bun or allergy free chicken tenders. Fruit cups are available for dessert and soy milk is also available upon request for those that cannot drink regular milk.
- Electric Umbrella – This is a hidden gem in Epcot’s Future World. Here there are a variety of options for those with special dietary needs. Choose from Allergy Free chicken tenders, gluten-free mac and cheese, a hamburger on a tapioca bun, or gluten-free pizza.
- Liberty Inn – There are also options in World Showcase as well! Located in the American Adventure Pavilion the Liberty Inn has a wide range of choice for those with allergies. This is the best place for all of these options since they are all “American” foods and having them here does not intrude on the intricate themes of the other pavilions. Diners can choose from Allergy Free chicken tenders, gluten-free mac and cheese, hamburger on tapioca bun, hot dog on tapioca bun, or gluten-free pizza.
- Backlot Express – This is one of my favorite quick service places in Hollywood Studios and is tucked back by the exit of the Indiana Jones stunt show. Here allergy free diners can choose between Allergy Free chicken tenders, hamburger or hot dog on tapioca bun, for entrees and Enjoy Life cookies for dessert.
- Sunshine Seasons – On of the coolest things about Epcot is the ability to try meals and snacks form around the world. With that being the case it seems like the Future World restaurants don’t get as much attention as they should. One of my favorite places for a snack in Future World is Sunshine Seasons. It can be found on the ground floor of the Land Pavilion and offers those with allergies a lot of snack choice. Tofutti and Rice Dream frozen treats, rice milk, soy milk, Enjoy Life cookies, Rocky Mountain caramel corn, and Surf Sweets. If you’re looking for something more filling gluten-free mac and cheese is also available.
- Resaurantosaurus – This uniquely themed Animal Kingdom restaurant offers travels a snack before or after their safari or fossil hunt. Gluten free mac and cheese, chicken tenders, hamburgers or hot dogs on tapioca rolls, are available for entrees. Soy milk is also available, and for dessert Rice Dream and Tofutti frozen desserts as well as Enjoy life cookies are dessert options.
Remember, in order to ensure that a choice that meets your dietary needs is available during your visit, contact the dietary department. Menu items may also be subject to change without notice.
Do you have food allergies? Let us know about your experience dining at Disney with allergies in the comments!
My name is Miriya Whitaker, I am a travel agent with World of Magic Travel, a writer for Chip and Co and Disney Addicts, and I would be happy to help you figure out restaurants are best for your family’s dining needs and to help you plan a magical vacation for the whole family. Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org to start planning and find out what characters you can meet on your trip. Also, follow me on Facebook for more Disney and travel information.