Celebrate Three Kings Day or Dia de los Reyes Magos with this traditional Three Kings Bread recipe!
This treat is a common tradition in places like Latin America, where Three Kings Day is celebrated on January 6. In past years you could find it at EPCOT during Festival of the Holidays.
This year the Three Kings Bread was not available during the festival but no worries! We have an easy recipe so you can recreate it at home:
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 4 tbsp of butter, at room temperature
- 4 tbsp of shortening
- 1/8 tsp of salt
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 3 – 3 1/2 cups of bread flour
- 4 tsp of instant yeast
- 1/2 cup of shortening
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of cake flour
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
- 3-4 tbsp of milk
- 2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 16 Maraschino cherries, chopped
- Red and green sugar
- Place the eggs and water in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook.
- Add the sugar, butter, shortening, salt, orange zest, vanilla, and 3 cups of the bread flour to the mixing bowl. Sprinkle instant yeast on top of the flour.
- Knead on medium speed for 12 minutes, until soft dough forms. Dough will be slightly sticky. If dough is not soft after 12 minutes, add 1/4 cup of flour at a time and knead for 1 additional minutes.
- Portion the dough into 16 balls on two baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour, until doubled in size.
For Sugar Paste
- Cream shortening, sugar, and cake flour in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
- Add egg and mix, making sure to scrape the sides of the bowl, until well blended. Set aside.
- Whisk powdered sugar, 3 tbsp of the milk, and vanilla extract together until smooth.
- Add additional tbsp of milk, if needed. Then set aside.
For Three Kings Bread
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Beat egg and brush on top of dough.
- Pipe the sugar paste in an “x” over the top of the balls of dough.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown. Then let it cool for 15 minutes and top with glaze.
- Sprinkle red and green sugar and chopped maraschino cherries on top of glaze.
Enjoy and feliz dia de reyes!
Credit: Disney Parks
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links. Also As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Wish Upon A Star With This Blue Fairy Popcorn Wand Recipe You Can Make At Home! - January 19, 2021
- Learn How To Make The Cutest Winnie The Pooh Pizzas At Home! - January 18, 2021
- Ghirardelli’s Ultimate Double Chocolate Cookies Recipe You Can Make At Home! - January 17, 2021