Surprise everyone with these adorable Disney Dome Cakes!
Besides being cute and colorful, these treats have a delicious white chocolate mousse filling inside candy shells that sit on top of fluffy vanilla cake. Are you drooling yet? Because we are.
They are inspired by some of your favorite Disney characters like Baymax, Stitch, Pooh, Piglet, Eeyore and Tigger! Have fun making these dome cakes following this recipe from Disney Family:
DISNEY DOME CAKES
- 1 packet of vanilla cake mix + required ingredients
- 1/2 cup of candy melts per color (white, yellow, light pink, light blue, orange and blue)
White Chocolate Mousse
- 1 cup of whipping cream
- 5 tbsp of powdered sugar
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 cup of white chocolate chips
- 2 cups of powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp of meringue powder
- 1/4 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of warm water
- Black, pink, beige, and blue gel food coloring
- Jelly roll pan
- Parchment paper
- Round cookie cutter
- Pastry brush
- Half circle silicone cake mold
- Pastry bag
- Prepare the cake mix according to the instructions. Pour batter into a jelly roll pan lined with parchment paper. Place the cake pan into the refrigerator for 10 minutes to cool.
- Then, cut 6 cake rounds out of the sheet cake with the cookie cutter. Set aside.
- Prepare the shells of the chocolate domes. Melt each color of candy melts in separate bowls either by microwave or double broiler method. If using a microwave, heat in 20 second intervals until candy melts are completely melted and smooth. For double broiler method, place a bowl on top of a pot with simmering water. The bowl should be slightly larger than the pot. Let it melt, and stir until smooth and no clumps are in the mixture.
- Use a pastry brush to coat each cavity of the mold with a different color of candy melts. Wait about 5 minutes, then brush on a second layer. Place mold into the refrigerator to set for about 10 minutes.
- Prepare the mousse filling. In a mixing bowl, beat the whipping cream on high speed until stiff peaks start to form. Beat in the sugar and vanilla extract until fluffy.
- Using a microwave safe bowl, melt the white chocolate in the microwave in 30 second increments until completely melted. Fold the chocolate into the whipped cream mixture until just combined. Be careful not to over mix.
- Fill each chocolate shell with the mousse until almost full. Then, place each cake round on top of the shells filled with mousse.
- Remove the shells from the molds. Start by pushing the bottom upward and slowly release each chocolate shell. Turn it upside down so that the shells sit on top of the cake. Be careful not to touch the outside of the shell to prevent fingerprints on the surface. Repeat until you have all 6 remove from the mold.
- Time to create the ears, noses, eyes, and other details with the leftover candy melts, royal icing and toothpicks!
- For Baymax, use black royal icing to draw his eyes and a straight line across for his mouth.
- For Pooh, draw his eyes, nose, and eyebrows with black royal icing. Make 2 round ears by melting yellow candy melts, adding to a piping bag, and piping the shapes on parchment paper. Once dried, peel off parchment and stick on top of his head with a bit of yellow candy melts. Repeat the same for Piglet but with candy melts for his ears.
- For Tigger, paint on the yellow part of his eyes and snout with yellow candy melts before drawing his eyes, eyebrows, and whiskers with black royal icing. Draw his nose with pink royal icing using a toothpick. Make 2 round ears with orange and yellow candy melts (using the technique above) and stick onto the top of his head when dry.
- For Eeyore, paint on his snout with beige icing. Draw eyes, nostrils, and stitches with black icing. Make his ears with blue and pink candy melts, and stick on the sides of his head when dry.
- For Stitch, create his ears using blue candy melts and add pink royal icing. Once dried, stick onto the sides of Stitch’s head. Using light blue royal icing, draw on his mouth and circle around his eyes with toothpicks. Then, draw his eyes with black icing. For his nose, use a darker shade of blue icing.
- Tap on the candy shell with the back of a spoon to break it before scooping into the mousse and cake layer.
Credit: Disney Family
- Magical Minnie Mouse Frappuccino To Order At Starbucks! - April 16, 2021
- Learn How To Make These Boozy Dole Whip Pops At Home! - April 15, 2021
- These Magic Carpet Pops Are A Must Make For Aladdin Fans! - April 14, 2021