New and Insightful Documentaries Coming Exclusively to Disney+. Disney recently announced several new documentaries and even more details about previously announced content coming to their new streaming service, Disney+.
The nonfiction Disney+ Originals will join the previously announced slate of scripted live-action and animated series and films from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, Lucasfilm, and more, in addition to the vast Disney+ library of nearly 500 films and 7,500 television episodes including 30 seasons of “The Simpsons” in the U.S.
“Disney has a rich history in nonfiction storytelling that dates back to the 1940s,” said Ricky Strauss, president, content & marketing, Disney+ during a showcase with the International Documentary Association. “The projects announced and showcased here today reflect Disney+’s commitment to building on Walt’s storytelling ethos and core values of creativity, innovation, and exploration.”
Disney+ kicked off the showcase by unveiling and offering insight into the newly announced projects:
- “Howard,” directed by Don Hahn (“Beauty and the Beast”); “Howard” is the untold story of Howard Ashman, the brilliant lyricist behind Disney classics like “Aladdin,” “Beauty and the Beast,” “The Little Mermaid” and creator of musicals including “Little Shop of Horrors.” The film will stream exclusively on Disney+ in 2020.
- “People & Places,” which is produced by Supper Club’s Jason Sterman, Brian McGinn and David Gelb (“13th,” “Amanda Knox,” “Chef’s Table”), relaunches the original Walt Disney documentary short film series from the 1950s and 1960s; “People & Places” will re-launch Walt Disney’s Academy Award-winning series of documentary short films. Following in Walt’s footsteps, the series will focus on real-life stories of extraordinary people and places from around the globe that embody the Disney ethos — all told by a mix of up-and-coming and established filmmakers.
- National Geographic’s Emmy Award-winning feature documentary “Science Fair” will stream exclusively on the service;
- An “Untitled Mickey Mouse Documentary” from award-winning producer Morgan Neville (“Won’t You Be My Neighbor?,” “20 Feet From Stardom”) and director Jeff Malmberg (“Marwencol,” “Shangri-la”); the film will work to decode Mickey’s deeper significance, getting to the core of what his cultural impact says about each of us, and about our world. From Tremolo Productions and Lincoln Square Productions, the film will strive to be the definitive analysis of Mickey as a cultural icon.
- And “Wolfgang,” directed by Supper Club co-founder David Gelb (“Jiro Dreams of Sushi”). “Wolfgang,” will be an intimate portrait of the life and work of the original “celebrity chef,” Wolfgang Puck.
Sarah Amos (Vice President, Development & Production, Marvel New Media), Jason Sterman (Supper Club), and Gillian Jacobs also shared insight into original nonfiction stories that complement and explore the 80-year legacy of Marvel including “Marvel’s Hero Project,” which premieres on Disney+ November 12. Produced by Supper Club and directed by Jacobs, “Marvel’s 616” including “Higher, Further, Faster” will stream on Disney+ in 2020. Additionally, actress/filmmaker Gillian Jacobs will direct an episode of the previously announced “Marvel’s 616” series.
Director and Producer, Leslie Iwerks (“The Pixar Story,” “Citizen Hearst”) gave the audience a look inside the production process of her highly anticipated documentary series “The Imagineering Story.” The six-hour saga chronicles the 67-year history of Walt Disney Imagineering, a place best described as equal parts artist studio, design center, think tank and innovation laboratory. “The Imagineering Story” will be available to stream on Disney+ launch day.
During the showcase with IDA, Executive Producer and Frozen Star, Kristen Bell, shared the first extended look at her unscripted series “Encore!.” The series brings together former castmates of a high school musical, tasking them with re-creating their original performance in a high school reunion like no other. Each episode follows a new cast of returning alumni as they attempt to pull off a standing-ovation-worthy performance of beloved musicals like “The Sound of Music,” “Beauty and the Beast,” “Annie” and more. “Encore!” will stream exclusively on Disney+ starting November 12.
Also present for the showcase was Jeff Goldblum, who executive produces and stars in “The World According to Jeff Goldblum” from National Geographic. Goldblum shared the series’ episode named: “Tattoos” for the audience before giving a peek inside his curious mind. Each episode of the series is centered around something we all love — like sneakers or ice cream — as Jeff pulls the thread on deceptively familiar objects and unravels a wonderful world of astonishing connections, fascinating science and history, amazing people, and a whole lot of surprising big ideas and insights. “The World According to Jeff Goldblum” will also start streaming exclusively on Disney+ November 12.
We here at Chip and Co. previously wrote about some great content regarding Disney+, and if you are looking for more answers about Disney’s new streaming service, such as price, availability, and content, we highly suggest checking out these articles to learn even more:
Launching on November 12, 2019, Disney+ will be the dedicated streaming home for movies and shows from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic, and more, together, for the first time. From The Walt Disney Company’s Direct-to-Consumer and International segment, Disney+ will offer ad-free programming with a variety of original feature-length films, documentaries, live-action and animated series and short-form content. The new streaming service will launch in select geographic territories, including U.S., Canada, and The Netherlands, followed shortly by Australia and New Zealand, with the expectation to be available in all major markets within the first two-years. Disney+ is now available for pre-order in the U.S. for $6.99/month or $69.99/year. Visit DisneyPlus.com to learn more.
Be sure to check back here at Chip and Company for all things Disney+!
Featured Photo Credit: Disney/Disney+
Watch our latest Youtube Videos here.
Disclaimer - As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Latest posts by Kaitlyn (see all)
- This L.A. Mansion is Every Star Wars Fans Dream House - January 23, 2020
- Disney and Marvel Studios Begin Production for ‘Captain Marvel 2’ - January 23, 2020
- RIAA Certifies Disney Hits ‘Colors of the Wind’ with Platinum and ‘Almost There’ with Gold Ratings - January 23, 2020