Fans of High School Musical will want to make sure that they sign up for Disney+! High School Musical: The Musical: The Series will be available on the highly anticipated streaming service.
High School The Musical: The Musical: The Series will begin 15 years after the first movie aired at the real-life location of East High. There is a 10-episode order for the series. The new series will follow a group of students as they rehearse for the opening night of their school’s first production of High School Musical. This show will have it all – behind the scenes, the development of showmances, friendships that are both formed and tested, raging rivalries, and of course, lives that are changed forever!
Production has begun in Salt Lake City on this reimagined series. The cast will be made up of Joshua Bassett (Stuck in the Middle), Olivia Rodrigo (Bizaardvark), Kate Reinders (Modern Family), Sofia Wylie (Andi Mack), Matt Cornett (Bella and the Bulldogs), Dara Reneé (Freaky Friday), Julia Lester (Mom), Frankie Rodriguez (Modern Family), Larry Saperstein (Fan Girl), and Mark St. Cyr (Doomsday).
The soundtrack will be comprised of both brand-new songs as well as acoustic “rehearsal-room” reinterpretations of songs from the original High School Musical. The numbers are being choreographed by Zach Woodlee (Glee, Dumplin’). The series is being developed and executive produced by Tim Federle (Ferdinand). The showrunner and executive producer is Oliver Goldstick (Pretty Little Liars). The original High School Musical trilogy is represented by both Bill Borden and Barry Rosenbush who are also executive producers. The first three episodes are being directed by Tamra Davis (Empire, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend).
“We are truly excited about this extremely talented cast and the fresh and contemporary take on this globally beloved franchise,” said Agnes Chu, senior vice president of content, Disney+. “From the music and dance, to the characters and hilarious meta references, there is something here for fans of the originals, as well as people who are new to East High. It’s going to be an unforgettable viewing experience for Disney+ subscribers.”
Here are the character descriptions for this new Disney+ series:
- Joshua Bassett plays high school junior Ricky who is a sarcastic yet charismatic skater. Ricky sets out to prove himself to his ex-girlfriend Nini—by auditioning to star opposite her in a musical.
- Olivia Rodrigo plays Nini found her voice at summer theater camp—along with a new boyfriend. Fiercely loyal to her two moms, she’s a shining star—even if she doesn’t always think so.
- Kate Reinders plays Miss Jenn who is a new drama teacher. Miss Jenn believes musicals can save lives. She may experience imposter syndrome, but she’d do anything for her students.
- Sofia Wylie plays Gina, a transfer student with a secret past who is also a theater veteran. Ambitious and entitled, she’s keen to show Miss Jenn she shouldn’t have been cast as an understudy.
- Matt Cornett plays E.J. who is Nini’s new love interest E.J. He is the completely confident son of two corporate lawyers, who secretly feels the pressure of living up to his picture-perfect social media persona. As co-captain of the water polo team, senior class treasurer, and trust fund baby, E.J. is used to getting what he wants—like the lead in role in the school musical.
- Dara Reneé plays Kourtney who is obsessed with makeup tutorials and feminism in equal measure. Nini’s ride-or-die BFF, Kourtney also works on the costume crew of High School Musical.
- Julia Lester plays Ashlyn who is J.’s cousin. She is an “old soul” who worships Sara Bareilles—so much that she secretly dreams of following in her idol’s footsteps to become a songwriter herself.
- Frankie Rodriguez plays Carlos who is captain of the color guard and a student choreographer. Carlos thinks of Miss Jenn as a peer. In fact, he eats lunch in her office and has been drinking espresso since third grade. And of course, Carlos already has his Tony Awards® speech memorized.
- Larry Saperstein plays Big Red who is the quintessential skater boy, always fuzzy and sleep-deprived. He’s weirdly devastated by Ricky and Nini’s split, as he’s been their third wheel forever.
- Mark St. Cyr plays East High’s somewhat stiff S.T.E.M. teacher Mr. Mazzara. Mazzara believes in preparing students for the future, which leads him to butt heads with the daydreaming Miss Jenn.
While no date has been communicated yet, the direct-to-consumer streaming service Disney+ is anticipated to be launched in the U.S. later in 2019 by The Walt Disney Company.
Watch our latest Youtube Videos here.
Disclaimer - As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.