We wanted to bring some more Disney magic into our homes while the parks are closed so we decided to recreate Le Cellier’s Canadian Cheddar Cheese soup!
This rich and creamy soup is the perfect way to transport yourself back into the Canada Pavilion in Epcot’s World Showcase! We know you’re missing the Disney parks…we are too! That’s why we’re sharing this recipe with you to follow along with us and get your Disney fix.
You’ll need the following ingredients…
- 1/2 pound center cut bacon, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups milk
- 3/4 pound grated white cheddar cheese, medium or mild (Canadian Black Diamond)
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup warm beer
- Chopped scallions or chives for garnish (optional)
Then, follow the directions carefully-
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat until lightly browned. Remove a spoonful to use as garnish.
- Add the onion, celery, and butter, sauteing until the onion is softened.
- Over medium heat, add the flour and stir, creating a thick paste-like roux.
- Slowly whisk in the broth and bring to a boil. Boil for about 1 minute, then reduce to a simmer, simmering for about 15 minutes, allowing the soup to thicken.
- After the soup has thickened, whisk in the milk and bring to a gentle simmer, not allowing the mixture to boil.
- Remove from heat and whisk in cheese until the soup is smooth. Add Tabasco sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and beer.
- Serve warm, garnish with scallions/chives and bacon. To reheat leftovers, add milk and reheat until warm, not allowing the mixture to boil.
Recipe from The Disney Chef.