We wanted to bring some more Disney magic into our homes while the parks are closed so we decided to recreate Mickey pretzels! Follow the recipe along with us and enjoy one of our favorite Disney park snacks right in the comfort of your own home.
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour (up to an additional ½ cup if dough is too wet)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1 package (2¼ teaspoons) instant yeast
- 1½ cup warm water, divided
- Pretzel salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
Next, we followed the instructions carefully-
- Combine flour, salt, 1 teaspoon sugar, yeast, and 1 cup water in a bowl. Mix until the dough incorporates all of the liquid, then knead dough by hand or with a mixer until soft, smooth, and elastic, about 5 minutes. If dough is still too wet, add up to an additional half cup of flour until the dough is soft and no longer too wet to handle.
- Dust dough with flour and place in bowl. Wrap the top with plastic wrap and let dough rest 30-40 minutes. Dough will rise slightly.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured working surface and divide into 4 equal parts. Allow pieces to rest 5-10 minutes.
- Flatten dough into a disk shape, pulling the top slightly to form what looks like a flattened heart. With a sharp knife, slice a slit into the two top bumps of the heart to form the ears. Pull the dough to really define ear area. Dough will expand during baking, so be sure to make ear area large and well defined.
- Beneath the ears, using a cookie cutter in the shape of a “3,” cut the eyes by turning the “3” sideways, open side of the 3 facing down. Remove excess dough.
- Beneath the middle of the eyes, form the nose by cutting a small slit and shaping the opening into a well-defined sideways oval.
- Finally, beneath the nose, cut the smile with and pull to define the open-mouthed smile. Cut the sides to shape Mickey further, if desired.
- Arrange cut Mickey pretzel on a cookie sheet lined with foil and sprayed with nonstick spray or on parchment paper. Brush liberally with remaining ½ cup water mixed with remaining 1 teaspoon sugar (to aid browning and crisping of crust). Sprinkle lightly with pretzel salt and allow to rest uncovered for 10-15 minutes.
- Repeat with remaining dough balls.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- After 10 minutes and pretzels have risen slightly, bake 4 minutes in 500 degree oven, turn baking sheet, and bake an additional 3-4 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and while on the cookie sheet, brush liberally with melted butter. Be sure to use all the butter. It seems like a lot, but the more butter, the better and more authentic it tastes.
- Eat warm from the oven or reheat in a toaster oven. Best enjoyed warm.
We hope you enjoy bringing some Disney magic into your home in the form of delicious Mickey pretzels! Happy cooking, friends!
Recipe from The Disney Chef.
Let our friends at Destinations to Travel help you plan your next Disney Vacation! Just fill out the form below and someone will be in touch! Remember their services are 100% Free!