One of the most popular pieces of advice given by savvy Disney travelers is to get your “Disney Button” . You may ask what could possibly make you want to look like you work for a restaurant chain while visiting Disney? Well, Disney is its own little “World” and wearing Disney Buttons and Mickey Ears on your head are all OK. So here is the dish on Disney World Buttons.
What are they?
Well, they are a 3 inch round button provided by Disney at no charge to you. They promote different occasions you might have come to Disney to celebrate. Currently there are buttons available for the following:
- First Visit (Can be personalized)
- Happy Birthday or Feliz Cumpleanos (Can be personalized)
- Happy Anniversary
- Just Married
- Just Engaged
- Family Reunion
- Generic “I’m Celebrating”
More info after the jump…
Where do I get one?
- If you’ve notated your special occasion on your resort reservation its likely they will have ready for you when you check in. If not, ask at the concierge desk and they will make up a button for you.
- Guest Services at Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios or Epcot.
- City Hall at the Magic Kingdom
What do I get with my button?
A little extra pixie dust is all I tell everyone to expect. Everything after that is a bonus! Cast Members will go out of their way to wish you a “Happy Birthday” or other occasion when they notice your button. Here are some other perks we’ve gotten over the years:
- The button itself makes a cool souvenir, make sure they redo the writing as you finish your trip. It can get a little rough-looking after a few days.
- A special dessert (cupcake, ice cream, etc.) at a table service meal.
- Signed birthday cards from the characters at a character meal.
- Stickers handed out randomly by cast members.
- Fast passes to a particular ride
- Balloon Bouquets from the resort
- Extra attention during a live show
What are the rules?
There are no hard and fast rules for getting a button. While Disney gives them out freely I think it ruins the magic if you take a button just to get free stuff. That being said, I don’t think it has to be your actual birthday or anniversary to get a button. If you are in Disney celebrating the occasion then make sure everyone knows it! My son’s birthdays are 6 weeks apart and when we celebrate at Disney we go in between both their days. They both get a celebration button of course!
Anyone have a button I didn’t mention above? They’ve changed over the years and some come and go. Want to share your button stories? We would love to hear from you!
Mickey Mom is a mom to two boys, loves going to Disney for their birthdays and has never worn a button at Disney World.
- Celebrating New Years at Disney World (chipandco.com)
- Kodak Sponsorship With Disney Parks Ends This Year (chipandco.com)
Let our friends at Destinations to Travel help you plan your next Disney Vacation! Just fill out the form below and someone will be in touch! Remember their services are 100% Free!