Create Disney magic at home with this Whispering Canyon Café Apple Pie recipe from D23! With the Whispering Canyon Café (located at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge) celebrating its 25th anniversary this month, now is the perfect time to recreate this tasty treat at home. Simply gather the necessary ingredients and follow the instructions below.
4 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
1/4 cup shortening
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons sugar
1/8 teaspoon coarse salt
1/3 cup 2% milk
1 cup water
6 granny smith apples, peeled and sliced
2 teaspoons apple pie spice
APPLE PIE BATTER
1/2 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup heavy cream
FOR PIE CRUST:
- Combine butter, shortening, flour, sugar, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix at medium speed until crumbly.
- Add milk and mix until incorporated.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and rest in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Roll to 1/4-inch thickness and place in 9-inch pie plate.
- Set aside.
- Bring water to simmer in a large pot.
- Place apples in a steamer basket and add to pot. Steam for 10 minutes. Remove from water.
- Cool to room temperature and toss with apple pie spice.
FOR APPLE PIE BATTER:
- Cream butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment until fluffy. Add eggs and mix until just incorporated.
- Mix flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl. Slowly add to mixer and beat on medium speed until combined.
- Add cream and mix until smooth.
- Set aside until ready to bake.
FOR APPLE PIE:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place 1/2 cup apple pie batter on top of pie crust, spread until smooth. Top with apples and remaining apple pie batter.
- Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake 20 more minutes, until golden brown.
- Cool to room temperature before serving.
Let us know how you like this recipe from the Whispering Canyon Café in the comments below!
Photo and recipe source D23.
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links. Also As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Terralina Crafted Italian and Paddlefish Release October Specials - September 25, 2020
- Son of a Nutcracker! General Mills Is Releasing Elf Cereal - September 25, 2020
- Win Free Burgers for a Year at Black Tap! - September 15, 2020