As the weather warms up for the summer months, we’re looking for the best desserts to take to family gatherings. Walt Disney loved a special lemon chiffon pie that his grandson, Christopher Disney Miller, was allowed to name. He called it “Chris’s Cold Pie”. Check out the recipe below if you’d like to enjoy this delicious treat at home!
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tbsp. unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. grated lemon rind
- 1 graham cracker crust (recipe on box)
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks with lemon juice and water just until combined.
- Mix gelatin, half the sugar and the salt in the top of a double boiler.
- Pour in egg yolk mixture, blending well.
- Cook, stirring constantly, over boiling water (water should not touch top section of double boiler) until gelatin dissolves and mixture thickens.
- Remove top from boiling water. Stir in lemon rind.
- Let set 20 minutes in a bowl filled with ice cubes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from ice when mixture thickens enough to mound when dropped from a spoon.
- Meanwhile, beat egg whites (at room temperature) in a large bowl until soft peaks form when beater is raised.
- Gradually add remaining sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Continue beating until stiff peaks form when batter is raised.
- Gently fold gelatin mixture into egg whites just until combined.
- Turn into pie crust. Dust top with nutmeg and chill several hours. (If desired, omit nutmeg and serve topped with whipped cream.)
Have you tried Chris’s Cold Pie before? Let us know how you liked it!
Recipe from d23.