When it comes time to decide where my next Disney Vacation is going to be, I often think about doing Disneyland, or maybe a Disney Cruise. But, in the end, Walt Disney World in Florida always wins! It will forever be my “home” Park. I often see the Disney Addicts arguing over which Park is better. Disneyland lovers will say “their Park” is better because it was first, or because it is smaller. But we all know when it comes to Disney, bigger is always better! I am here to set the record straight. Walt Disney World is the best.
Here are my top 10 reasons why:
10. Walt Disney World, with four theme parks (Magic Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, Epcot, and Animal Kingdom), two water parks, and 23 hotels –has more to offer than Disneyland, with two parks and 3 hotels. You’ll need at least four days – better yet 6, to see even half of Walt Disney World, and do the water parks, and visit Disney Springs. Disneyland and California Adventure (85 acres) can both fit inside just the Magic Kingdom in Florida (107 acres).
- Epcot– The best park in my opinion! Especially during the Food & Wine Festival and Flower and Garden Festival, the World Showcase is amazing. I would be sad to visit Disney and not have Epcot there.
- Hollywood Studios– Rockin’ Roller Coaster, The Great Movie Ride, and Beauty and the Beast Live, are great attractions we love, and not to mention the best night time spectacular, Fantasmic!
- Animal Kingdom– So much more than just a zoo, it offers awesome rides like Kilimanjaro Safaris, Kali River Rapids and Expedition Everest and shows such as Finding Nemo the Musical and The Festival of the Lion King.
9. Water Parks and Resort area activities are endless! From Typhoon Lagoon to the Tri-Circle Ranch, there is so much to do right on property, you could spend 2 weeks there, and not be able to do it all. You can have a camp fire and ride horses at Fort Wilderness, or see The Spirit of Aloha Luau Dinner Show at the Polynesian Resort. Parasailing, boat rentals and Segway tours are just some of the activities available. See more here: Magic Outside the Parks. Disneyland is very limited when it comes to outside the Park “Disney” activities.
8.The WDW’s Magic Kingdom is larger as far as area goes, with wider walkways, which makes it seem less crowded. Queue areas in Orlando are mostly all covered, or indoors, which is wonderful on super hot or rainy days. In California, lines form outside, including those at Space Mountain and It’s a Small World. Even the monorail is smaller at DLR, and you can’t even stand up in it.
7. The Magic Kingdom in WDW has the new Fantasyland expansion, which includes the new Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Double Dumbo’s, Beast’s Castle featuring Be Our Guest, Goofy’s Barnstormer, Enchanted Tales with Belle, and Under the Sea with Ariel inside Prince Eric’s seaside castle. That makes 3 castles in one Park! Take THAT DLR!
6. Disney World’s FastPass+ system, allows visitors to make up to three ride reservations months head of their visit and they are linked right to your MagicBand. Disneyland, meanwhile, has retained the old paper ticket system, with FastPass reservations available only on the day of your visit.
5. There’s a Disney Resort for everyone’s taste. At Disneyland there are 3 Resorts, one for each price level. At WDW there are over 20 Resorts, ranging from Deluxe Villas to Values. Experience romance at the Grand Floridian, stay at the Wilderness Lodge if you love the outdoors, or book the Animal Kingdom Lodge to view African wildlife outside your room. Stay at the Caribbean Beach if you want a tropical feel, or Art of Animation for the young Pixar movie lovers!
4. Dining is unmatched at Walt Disney World Resort as it offers about 18 Character Meals in addition to the 200 restaurants. Disneyland only has 5. More opportunities to meet your favorite Disney Pals and Princesses, and more restaurants to experience and menus to choose from. WDW also offers the Magic Your Way Package that includes the Disney Dining Plan, which is a prepaid meal plan that you bundle with your room and ticket package. It can save a lot of money if you like to eat at sit down restaurants versus fast food. The DDP is not available at DLR, only character breakfasts can be added to your room.
3. MagicBands. Who doesn’t love opening their mailbox to see personalized MagicBand, the status symbol of a WDW Vacation (don’t act like you don’t post a picture of them) It’s your hotel room key, dining plan, Park ticket, water park admission, Memory Maker (another thing DLR doesn’t offer!) and your FastPasses too! Sorry Disneyland-ers, no pretty bands for you!
2. Special events that only happen at WDW are the International Food & Wine Festival, featuring food and beverages from around the world, celebrity chefs giving cooking demos, and famous bands playing for free. The Flower and Garden Festival displays amazing character topiaries and colorful gardens around the Park. Star Wars Weekends at Hollywood Studios is exclusive to WDW! All of these events are free with admission.
1. The number one reason WDW is better than DLR is obvious. You can literally see it a mile away… The Castle!! Sleeping Beauty’s Castle at Disneyland is 77 feet tall, while Cinderella’s Castle at the Magic Kingdom is more than twice as tall, at 189 feet. Sorry Aurora, but Cindy’s Castle takes the cake!
I do have respect for Disneyland (from a distance) because it is Walt’s original Park. You may find me there on my way to Aulani, the Disney Resort in Hawai’i, but it’s not my first choice for a Disney Vacation.
Be sure to check out our article Why Disneyland is better than Disney World from our Disneyland writer Sara!
Don’t you agree WDW rules!? If you are ready to experience all the magic listed above for yourself, contact me today! I offer free pricing and planning help for ALL of your Disney Destinations, especially my beloved Orlando park ( I am a Walt Disney World Specialist after all!) Email me at Summer@WorldOfMagicTravel.com to chat about your budget and ideas for the perfect Disney Trip… I will help you make that dream a reality! Follow on Instagram @summers_magical_travel and give my FB Page a Like. Team Florida Forever!
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links. Also As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.