I know you, I walked with you once upon a dream.
For some of us, eating a donut cake does sound like a dream come true! If you watched the animated Sleeping Beauty film, then you will recall the lopsided cake the three fairy godmothers baked for Aurora. Today, we’ll show you how to bake your own Sleeping Beauty Donut Cake at home.
- Donuts (store-bought or homemade)
- White candy melts
- 2 Cups powdered sugar
- 2 1/2 Tbsps milk
- Dash of vanilla extract
- Blue and yellow gel food coloring
- Vanilla frosting
- Long pretzels logs
- Dark chocolate, melted
- Pink candles
- Pink Candles
- Pastry brush
- Piping Bags
Use your choice of plain store-bought or homemade donuts. If using homemade, ensure the donuts are completely cool before decorating. I used 8 homemade baked cake donuts in total.
Melt the white chocolate. Dip the donuts in, and let them set
To make the glaze, combine sugar, milk, and vanilla. Whisk until smooth. Add in blue gel food coloring until incorporated, then transfer into a piping bag. Snip a corner off. Then, pipe drips onto the donuts, smoothing the glaze out with a toothpick where needed. For the donut that is going on top, cover it completely with blue glaze.
Use frosting or melted chocolate to secure the first donut onto the cake board or cutting board. Carefully stack the donuts.
Combine yellow gel food coloring with vanilla frosting to create the yellow frosting. Add to a sturdy piping bag. Then, pipe on the yellow details on the top tier. You can use a dowel in the middle of the donut stack to hold them up if you wish.
6. To make the broomstick, use a long breadstick or pretzel stick and apply a layer of melted chocolate with a brush. When set, dip 1 end in melted chocolate and stick into a marshmallow on an angle so it’s leaning towards the donut tower. Stack another marshmallow underneath, attaching them together with melted chocolate.
7. “Glue” the base of the marshmallow to the other side of the cake board with melted chocolate and wedge the “broomstick” between the top 2 donuts.
8. Combine more yellow gel food coloring with vanilla frosting to create a darker yellow frosting. Using this frosting, pipe long strands of icing onto the marshmallows to imitate the straw of the broom. Finish it off with a ring of piped dark chocolate approximately 3/4 of the way up.
9. Pipe small dollops of regular yellow frosting where the candles will go, then stick pink candles directly on top.
That’s it! This dessert would be a fantastic addition for a Disney birthday!
Recipe Credit: Family Disney
Let our friends at Destinations to Travel help you plan your next Disney Vacation! Just fill out the form below and someone will be in touch! Remember their services are 100% Free!
- Star Tours in Disneyland celebrates 35 years! - January 9, 2022
- Walt Disney World 50th Anniversary celebration-inspired figurines & plush coming from Funko - January 8, 2022
- Disney is hiring Vocalist for Festival of the Lion King in Disney’s Animal Kingdom - January 8, 2022