Walt Disney World’s Downtown Disney area is a lovely place to get away from the theme park madness and just do a few things to relax. This is especially important to us Seniors as that constant go-go-go of the parks will wear anyone out particularly Oldies like us. There are a number of things to take advantage of that allow you to have new experiences but at a relaxing pace. These Top 5 items are in no particular order and the numbers are there just to show you I didn’t lose count!!!
- Cirque du Soleil – This is one of my true favorites. It’s a different type of circus performed on stage but there are no animals used in the show. It has everything including clowns, jugglers, acrobats, and dancers. It also has dramatic lighting effects combined with beautiful music. After the performance the word you will hear most as you exit will be WOW!! It’s ninety minutes you will never forget.
- Characters In Flight – I’ll start by saying that I have a fear of heights but I also crave new experiences hence my try at Characters In Flight. The attraction is a tethered balloon that will take you around 400 feet in the air for views of Walt Disney World that you can not get in any other way. The picture of the Cirque du Soleil building above was taken by me on our last visit. Give it a try, it’s currently around $18 for adults and yes it is perfectly safe.
- AMC 24 Theaters Complex – I wouldn’t normally recommend taking in a movie while at Walt Disney World but as of May of 2011 you can not only see the movie but have a casual meal including beer, wine, and your favorite cocktail. It’s kind of unique and a great way to relax. Sorry teens and tweens you either need to be 18 or accompanied by an adult to do this. Reserved seating is available.
- World Of Disney Store – The best word to use when describing this store is HUGE!!! They have everything you could possibly imagine in the way of Disney Stuff. If you saw it somewhere in the parks and forgot to buy it you can probably find it here. I’m not a huge fan of shopping but it makes my wife happy and it does relax me because I looooove to just wander around the store. Besides, we all know that is she is happy we are both happy!!!
- Dinner at Fulton’s Crab House – You can’t miss the paddle wheel steamboat that is Fulton’s Crab House. It’s a magnificent way to end a day at Downtown Disney with a relaxing and I might add fabulous meal. The seafood items are as fresh as can be in that they fly it in daily. Yes, it’s a bit pricey but after all at our age we deserve a little pampering. Give this one a try, you wll not be sorry.
Hopefully, you will giveDowntown Disney a chance. If you do I’m sure you will find that it is a pleasant diversion and will make time for it on your future visits. There is certainly plenty to do. As always, enjoy your visit to Walt Disney World!!