So I usually stick to writing about Walt Disney World; but today, I’m not going to talk about that at all! Today, I’m going indulge my inner geek and rave about the latest development in my beloved Star Wars universe: Disney’s announcement of Star Wars VII’s director, J.J. Abrams!
For those of you who don’t know, J.J. Abrams is the mastermind behind such brilliant television shows as Felicity, Alias, Lost, Fringe, and this fall’s newest hit, Revolution; as well as films such as Mission Impossible 3, Star Trek, and Super 8!
So besides Abrams’ creative successes, why am I excited that he’s the new director of Star Wars VII? Read on!
5. He Directed Star Trek-Okay, okay, I know that there is a rivalry between Star Trek fans and Star Wars fans; but hear me out. Taking on the vintage Star Trek in a way that introduced the franchise to a new generation, as well as staying faithful to the originals and pleasing Star Trek fans was a huge challenge. But Abrams more than delivered with his surprising prequel that actually changes the future, offering a whole new and undiscovered future for the Star Trek characters, as well as paying homage to what had gone on before. So my thinking is that if anyone can refresh and reboot a dusty, yet revered, franchise while still staying true to the originals, it’s J.J. Abrams.
4. He Focuses on Characters-If you think about some of J.J. Abram’s works, his characters immediately come to mind. Many have said that this is what made the original Star Wars trilogy such a success, the emphasis on unforgettable characters like Darth Vader and Han Solo. Just think about Lost, Fringe, and Revolution, these shows are character centered and famous for using flashbacks to reveal more about their characters background, conflicts, motivations, and personalities. It helps us relate and gives us a reason to care. Let’s face it, there are too many CGI-heavy films with cardboard thin characters on the big screen these days; and if anyone will make sure that the next Star Wars film will have a strong character emphasis, Abrams will.
3. Suspense-J.J. Abrams is famous for keeping viewers on the edge of their seat and in constant suspense due to his mysterious, although action-packed, storylines. You never know what’s going to happen in the story and even main characters can be at risk. This means that the action matters, just like the action in the original Star Wars films. Abrams’ use of suspense also means that he likes keeping his viewers in the dark, revealing only a little at a time. I think that if Disney plans to release more Star Wars films in the years to come, suspenseful storylines and action is what is going to keep viewers flocking to the theaters!
2.-ABC’s Lost television series, which ran from 2004-2010, was one of the most popular and groundbreaking shows ever; and if you are a fan of Lost, you know why Abrams is brilliant! The storyline captured viewers and kept them intrigued season after season, the casting was excellent, the sets and scenery was worthy of the big screen, and each episode was packed with action, drama, and adventure, as well as plenty of questions. This show alone proves that Abrams knows how to bring winning elements together; and if he can bring half of the brilliance of Lost to the new Star Wars films, we’re in for success.
1. He’s a Star Wars Fan-Like myself, J.J. Abrams is a big Star Wars, not the type who has seen it once or twice, but a serious fan who actually includes Star Wars references regularly in his projects. Hurley, a main character in Lost, was known to quote Star Wars lines and references throughout the series, Revolution’s pilot episode featured a Star Wars lunchbox, and Star Wars fans will notice that some of Abrams’ storylines are very similar to some Star Wars storylines as well. As you can see, he’s been studying and incorporating Star Wars into his creative works for years! So this, above all other reasons, is why I think Abrams is right for this job because Star Wars can only be safe in the hands of a true fan who has the same concerns about its future as we do.
So what do you think? Is J.J. Abrams right for the job? Go ahead and share your view!
- Tips: Star Wars Weekends Maneuvers (aglassslippervacation.com)
- 2013 Dates Revealed for Star Wars Weekends at Hollywood Studios
Let our friends at Destinations to Travel help you plan your next Disney Vacation! Just fill out the form below and someone will be in touch! Remember their services are 100% Free!