Disneyland is a truly magical place, no matter what time of day it is, but the original Magic Kingdom becomes even more magical after dark. The music is louder, the scents are more fragrant, especially those of the turkey legs, the shimmering lights are brighter, and the tasty treats taste better. Many of the rides are more magical at night, too. So, here are ten Disneyland rides that you should definitely check out at night on your next trip!
- Jungle Cruise – Take advantage of the unique opportunity to cruise through the great jungles of the world after dark. There isn’t a whole lot of artificial light here, like on other rides, most of it comes from the boats themselves, and this makes the attraction seem more authentic. It really adds to the attraction since it is, honestly, not entirely authentic during the day. You may also end up getting to hear a whole new, more adult, script if there aren’t many kids in the boat.
- Dumbo – Soar high with Dumbo after dark and you’ll be in for a treat. The ride area itself is incredible, the fountains which are beautiful during the day are now lit up in varying colors. This attraction also allows for riders to take in views of the beautiful Fantasyland from new heights.
- Astro Orbitor – Much like Dumbo, Astro Orbitor allows riders to take in amazing views from new heights. Enjoy your flight as you are surrounded by the shimmering lights of Tomorrowland, Main Street U.S.A. and Sleeping Beauty Castle!
- Haunted Mansion – I know, it doesn’t make a lot of sense to include a ride that takes place complete inside, but there’s a reason behind this choice. Haunted Mansion is already slightly scary in the day time, after all it is haunted, but there is just something about walking into a “haunted” house after dark that makes it even scarier.
- Splash Mountain – Most of Splash Mountain takes place inside, however there are quite a few out door portions, including the climax of the ride – the big drop. As you float by the homes of Br’er Fox and Br’er Bear be sure to take in the amazing views of the rest of the park. The drop is even more amazing or even more terrifying, in a good way, after dark as well!
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad – Board the runaway mine train for the wildest ride in the wilderness. If you’re a roller coaster fan, and you like this ride during the day, be sure to check it out after dark for a faster and scarier experience. The mountain all light up at night is also quite beautiful.
- King Arthur Carrousel – Carousels are almost always better at night – the music seems louder and the ride itself seems faster. It also provides riders with the unique opportunity to take in the shimmering lights of Fantasyland as they whiz by.
- Storybook Land Canal Boats – If you like this attraction during the day you’ll love it at night. Sail through the lands of Aladdin, Anna and Elsa, Cinderella and their friends, just like in the day time, but now everything is beautifully light up. It is truly breathtaking.
- It’s a Small World – Most of this attraction takes place inside, but the short time that you are outside is memorable. This is especially true during the winter holidays when the ride is lit up with thousands of sparkling multicolored lights.
- Matterhorn Bobsleds – Much like Big Thunder Mountain, the Matterhorn has a higher thrill factor at night – the ride seems faster and the yeti is even scarier.
What’s your favorite Disneyland ride to ride at night? Let us know in the comments!
My name is Miriya Whitaker, I am a travel agent with World of Magic Travel, a writer for Chip and Co and Disney Addicts, and I love to experience Disneyland after dark! I would be happy to answer any Disneyland questions you might have and to help you plan and book your next magical vacation! Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org to start planning and follow me on Facebook for more Disney and travel information!