There’s nothing like getting swept up in Disney magic. The castle, the characters, the Mickey shaped food! It’s so easy for “outsiders” to look at Walt Disney World and think it’s for kids because the focus is on family and the parks being for everyone. However, as Disney veterans, you and I know there is no shortage of thrills and scares at the parks too! I don’t know if I’ll ever outgrow wanting to experience magic and excitement all in one day! Here are my Top 10 Thrills in Walt Disney World.
- Tower of Terror– This will always be #1 on any list of attractions I make that involve thrills, chills, excitement and terror! I love a good drop, especially, one overlooking the landscape of Hollywood Studios! The ambience of the line queue is also very high on my list.
- Rockin’ Roller Coaster– With 2 roll-over loops and one corkscrew, this is surely Disney’s most exciting roller coaster. Set indoors to loud and exciting Aerosmith music, this coaster hits 60 mph. You WILL Scream…And that’s the whole point!
- Expedition Everest– Animal Kingdom has such gorgeous scenery and animal viewing. I think the Imagineers hit the nail on the head when they added this thrilling coaster in 2006. I don’t want to give away the surprise if you haven’t ridden it yet- but there’s a fabled creature lurking inside and he’s out to terrorize!
- Mission: Space– As you enter the attraction you are briefed on your mission by the legendary Gary Sinise. Your party is assigned roles: Navigator, Pilot, Engineer and Commander, each with a job to do. You board your space shuttle and experience real G-Force that the astronauts experience upon launch. There are 2 versions of this, one for the more faint-hearted that is a little less intense.
- Space Mountain– The oldest operating ride in the state of Florida, Space Mountain is an original fan favorite. This indoor space-themed coaster is intense because of the dark around you. At some points all you see is little lights and tracks and you lose sense of where you are.
- Test Track– After several Chevrolet sponsored tests on road simulators your 6 passenger car takes you for a 60 MPH spin around the outside of the building on a track in the sky. While the break tests are fun, we all really just wait for the speed test, right?
- Soarin’– I list this in my thrill rides because I remember vividly my first time riding. I had no idea what to expect and it so greatly exceeded my imagination that I found myself chirping with glee as my friends watched me laughing. You really feel like you’re flying and it’s a super exciting experience! Epcot doesn’t have a large number of thrills so this was a superb addition.
- Dinosaur– An unexpected treasure amidst the animal life. Animal Kingdom’s Dinoland U.S.A. hosts an adventure in time travel to rescue a dinosaur. Of course not all will go according to plan. If you don’t go in with someone ruining your ride with spoilers you will be very pleasantly terrified! I was lucky enough to be surprised on my first ride. Evidence of this in the title image. (I’m the one in the white).
- Seven Dwarfs Mine Train– The first of its kind, this coaster swings side to side as you race through the scenery and up and over turns. This newer addition to New Fantasyland is super popular and it’s highly recommended you book a Fast Pass.
- Splash Mountain– A fun way to take a load off those weary feet and possibly cool down with a splash! A fun ride through Br’er Rabbit’s hijinks lands you in the Laughing Place and you might stop singing “Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah” for just a minute as you reach the top of the mountain right before you SPLASH!
What are you favorites? What’s your LEAST favorite thrill ride?