Eating healthy just become more magical! Just take a look at these Pua Purple Yam Tarts!
Purple sweet potatoes form the antioxidant-rich filling for these delicious tarts. We are sure Pua from Moana would love these tarts since the sweet potato is very popular on the island and pigs are good diggers. Plus the super vibrant purple color of these sweet potatoes really shines and makes these tarts almost to pretty to eat!
You can find this recipe in the Disney Princess: Healthy Treats Cookbook by Ariane Resnick on August 31, 2021! In the meantime, you can have fun in the kitchen with this easy recipe from the book:
PUA PURPLE YAM TARTS
- 2 medium purple sweet potatoes (about 1 pound)
- 2/3 cup of sugar
- 1/3 cup of Swerve, monk fruit, or allulose powder
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup full of fat canned coconut milk
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 tsp of orange extract, optional
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- Finely shredded coconut, for garnish, optional
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/3 cup of unrefined coconut oil
- 1/3 cup of butter, cubed
- 3 to 6 tbsp of ice water
- To prepare the sweet potatoes, prick each one several times with a form and microwave on high for 10 minutes until very soft, flipping once halfway through. Once potatoes are cooked, allow them to cool until they are cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile prepare the crust. In the bowl of a food processor combine the flour, sugar, salt, coconut oil, and butter, and pulse until coarse crumbs form. Add the ice water, 1 tbsp at a time, pulsing until a ball forms, making sure to not add more water once the dough sticks together. Chill the dough for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Remove the dough from refrigerator, divide in half and roll out each half on parchment paper, adding flour if needed to prevent sticking.
- Cut the dough into 5 inch circles using a lid or ring mold as a guide to yield eight circles, and place each circle of dough inside one cavity of a standard muffin tin. Bake the tart shells for 4 minutes, then allow to cool while you prepare the filling.
- To assemble the Pua Purple Yam Tarts, remove and discard skins from the sweet potatoes. Put the sweet potato flesh in a food processor and blend until smooth. Add the sugar, sweetener, eggs coconut milk, vanilla extract, orange extract (if using), and salt; blend until smooth. Pour into the partially baked tart shells.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 375F. Bake the tarts for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the filling is solid. Allow them to cool for 30 minutes before removing from the muffin tin. If desired, sprinkle with the shredded coconut.
Enjoy your Pua Purple Yam Tarts!
The Disney Princess Healthy Treats Cookbook have 50 recipes inspired by your favorite princesses and you can your copy here!
Let our friends at Destinations to Travel help you plan your next Disney Vacation! Just fill out the form below and someone will be in touch! Remember their services are 100% Free!
- Pumpkin Cranberry Scones From Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort To Make At Home! - September 5, 2021
- Adorable Winnie The Pooh Pumpkin Bites To Make This Fall! - September 4, 2021
- These Spooky Oogie Boogie Jello Shots Are The Perfect Boozy Treat! - September 3, 2021