Today is National Apple Pie Day! So of course we had to add a little magic to it with a Winnie the Pooh Apple Pie!
This recipe features a delicious apple filling with some sugared cranberries on top for some extra flavor! Sounds delicious plus the leaves and Pooh make it look too cute to eat.
So follow this easy recipe from Disney Family and have a fun day baking!
WINNIE THE POOH APPLE PIE
- 2 sheets of store-bought pie dough
- 9″ pie pan
- Winnie the Pooh template
- Heavy cardstock
- Leaf-shaped cookie stamps
- Read and green gel food coloring
- 8 cups of tart apples (peeled, cored, and sliced 1/4″ thick)
- 1 3/4 cups of fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 tbsp of lemon juice
- 2 tbsp of cornstarch
- 1 cup of sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of apple pie spice
- 1/2 tsp of grated orange peel
- 2 tbsp of butter, cold
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup of fresh cranberries
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1/4 cup of sugar plus 3 tbsp more for coating cranberries
- 1/8 cup of chocolate chips
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one piece of pie dough out into a 12 inch circle.
- Carefully transfer the dough to an ungreased pie pan, and crump the edges using your fingers or a fork. Transfer to the refrigerator.
- You can use the Winnie the Pooh template as a guide to cut your shapes out of a cardstock (make sure you don’t have any marker or ink on your cardstock as it will be touching the pie dough)
- Roll the second piece of pie dough out into a 12 inch circle, and use a sharp knife to cut around your Winnie the Pooh shape. The use your leaf cookie stamps to cut as many leaves out as you want.
- Transfer all cut out shapes to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Gather the scrap dough, and use gel food coloring to color one half red and the other green. Roll each color out, and again using your cardstock as a guide, cut the shirt out of red, and the scarf out of the green dough. Place these shapes on your baking sheet and transfer the sheet to the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the apple, cranberries, lemon juice, cornstarch, sugar, cinnamon, apple pie spice, and citrus peel. Transfer the pie filing to your refrigerated pie shell. Cut the cold butter into small pieces and place around the top of the pie.
- Arrange the leaf cutouts in any pattern you desire around the edges, keeping an open spot in the middle of the pie for Winnie the Pooh. Use a little water if needed to get any leaves to stick, and to add the shirt and scarf to your Winnie the Pooh cutout. Place Winnie the Pooh back in the freezer while the pie bakes.
- Lightly brush the leaf cutouts with egg wash and sprinkle with a little sugar.
- Place the pie pan on a baking sheet, and bake for 20 minutes. Then, with the pie in the oven, lower the temperature to 350F and bake for another 30-40 minutes. If the edges of the crust are getting too brown you can add foil (just fold a 12″ piece into a square, cut a circle out, and carefully place over the edges of the pie).
- While the pie is baking, you can make the sugared cranberries to add for decoration. Place 1/4 cup of water and 1/4 cup of sugar in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves and it comes to a simmer. Remove from the heat. Carefully add in your cranberries, cover and let steep for 5 minutes. Then transfer to a piece of parchment paper to cool for about 1 hour before rolling in the extra 3 tablespoons of sugar.
- When the pie is done baking, transfer to a cooling rack to set for at least 1 hour before slicing. The place your Winnie the Pooh dough in the oven for 10 minutes (after adding a little egg wash and sugar to it as well).
- Remove the cutouts and allow to cool on a wire rack for about 15 minutes before using a toothpick and melted chocolate to add the face. You can either melt the chocolate over a double broiler, or in the microwave in 30 second intervals at 50% power, stirring between each interval.
- Place Winnie the Pooh in the middle of the pie and finish it off by decorating with sugared cranberries.
Credit: Disney Family
- You Can Order A Virgin Mai Tai Frappuccino At Starbucks! - June 16, 2021
- Change Your Fate With These Brave Banana Cherry Teacakes! - June 15, 2021
- Wakey Wakey Vegan Hash Recipe To Start Your Day! - June 14, 2021