If you ever visited the Blue Bayou restaurant at the Disneyland Resort, you know that the Monte Cristo Sandwich is a must have!
This delicious dish has been on the menu since 1967 and has been served up to 200 times a day! Crazy right?
We know Disneyland is still close for now and you can’t go and enjoy this Monte Cristo Sandwich yet but you can recreate it at home with this easy recipe from D23!
- 1 egg
- 1 3/4 cups plus 2 tbsp of water
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1 3/4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 8 slices of egg bread (challah works well), sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 3 cups of canola oil
- 8 thin slices of ham
- 8 thin slices of turkey
- 8 thin slices of Swiss cheese
- Confectioners sugar
- Blackberry preserves
- Line a cookie sheet with paper towels; set aside.
- Whisk the egg and water together in a mixing bowl. Add flour, salt and baking powder and whisk thoroughly for 2 to 3 minutes or until smooth, scraping sides of bowl.
- On one slice of bread, arrange 2 slices of ham, turkey, and cheese, covering the bread evenly. Place another slice of bread on top and slice each sandwich in half diagonally.
- Heat oil to between 365F and 375F in a 10 inch pan. Do not let the oil reach a higher temperature than this; if the oil starts to smoke, turn the heat down.
- Dip half of the sandwich into the batter, allowing excess to drain, and very carefully place into the oil. Repeat with the other sandwich half.
- Cook 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- Place the cooked sandwich on the prepared cookie sheet in a warm oven until ready to serve. Repeat with the other three sandwiches.
- Cook one at a time, and allow the oil to reach the desired temperature between each. Sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar and serve with blackberry preserves on the side.