Meet the Characters of Disney’s ‘Encanto.’ Get ready to join the family in Disney’s next animated musical adventure, Encanto! Nestled in the mountainside of Columbia, the movie follows our protagonist Mirabel Madrigal and her gifted family, The Madrigals. Every one of the Madrigals has had a special gift given to them at a young age… well, except for Mirabel. Mirabel must figure out her own place and purpose within her special family and we can’t wait to follow along with her journey!
Want to learn more about this magical family? Meet the Madrigal Family in their descriptions below:
- Mirabel (“Brooklyn Nine-Nine” actress Stephanie Beatriz): Mirabel is a young girl whom Bush described as “imperfect and weird and quirky, but also deeply emotional and incredibly empathetic” — a character that required a multifaceted performance. “There are so many improvised moments that are in the movie; we were really lucky to have someone who could be that off the cuff,” Bush said. Castro Smith added: “It also completed translated to her vocal performances. She has incredibly vulnerable moments singing, incredibly funny moments singing — there was nothing she couldn’t do.” Mirabel’s parents, Julieta and Agustín, are voiced by Angie Cepeda and Wilmer Valderrama, respectively. Actress María Cecilia Botero brings to life Mirabel’s grandmother, or Abuela.
- Isabela (“Orange is the New Black” actress Diane Guererro): Isabela is Mirabel’s older sister and, like so many siblings, they have a complicated relationship. “Isabela is smart and brilliant and so perfect that flowers bloom in footsteps. Anything she attempts to do is a success, which is the opposite of what Mirabel’s experience has been in this family,” Howard said. “She’s in an extraordinary family where everyone is extraordinary, but Isabela is extra, extra extraordinary. It’s delicious conflict.” For Guerrero, the challenge was simultaneously playing a lovable character and an antagonist. “Diane nailed that,” Bush gushed.
- Luisa (“Feast of the Seven Fishes” actress Jessica Darrow): Bush joked that Luisa, Mirabel’s other sister, probably has “the biggest biceps in Disney history!” “She’s the one that Mirabel relies on,” Castro Smith explained. “She’s the one in the family that’s carrying all the burdens and never complaining.” Castro Smith, who said that Darrow was perfect for the role “because she’s tough but also [can be] really funny and vulnerable,” added that the character’s song is one of the standouts of the film. “It’s a crazy visual showpiece,” Howard noted. “It’s just beautiful and colorful, and Jess really owns it.”
- Pepa and Félix (“Narcos” actress Carolina Gaitán and singer Mauro Castillo):Pepa and Félix, Mirabel’s aunt and uncle, are a couple rooted in balance. Pepa is “overly dramatic, overly emotional and, for better or worse, her magical gift is that her emotions control the weather,” Bush said. “It goes from sunny to hailing to snow to rainbows… and her husband loves that about her. He’s just there to have a good time!” Bush added that the voice actors were “hilarious together.” “They are a fantastic, fun combination,” he said.
- Dolores (singer-actress Adassa): Adassa made Dolores, the daughter of Pepa and Félix, a “standout character,” Castro Smith said. “She’s the one who’s a little bit quiet but also knows everyone’s dirt,” she continued. “Lin fell in love with the character and he made room for her in some of these songs.”
- Camilo (“Marvel’s Runaways” actor Rhenzy Feliz): The character of Camilo came about because “we were interested in a teen who doesn’t quite know who they are yet and are trying on a lot of different personas,” Castro Smith said, adding that his power is shape-shifting. “Rhenzy is just perfect,” she continued. “He was really funny.”
- Antonio (“#BlackAF” actor Ravi Cabot-Conyers): “In this amazing family, when you receive your magical gift, what comes along with that is a new room for you to use your gifts in. As a member of the family who didn’t get a gift, Mirabel didn’t graduate from the nursery so she’s been living [there] with Antonio, her youngest cousin,” Bush said. “They have this really, really sweet, amazing relationship. She’s almost a big sister to him.” Bush added that Cabot-Conyers makes Antonio “a character that people are really going to fall in love with.”
Co-Director Charise Castro Smith shared the inspiration behind Mirabel’s story with Good Morning America, telling the news station, “It started out really personal. [Directors] Jared [Bush] and Byron [Howard] were the ones who came up with this idea and they started out by researching their own families. One of the big questions of the movie is, ‘Do I really see my family for who they are?'”
“I think this is the first time that we’ve really tried to handle a large extended family,” Director Byron Howard added, “We have about a dozen principle characters who are very, very important to the story, and that was enormously challenging but the whole team really committed to that from the beginning.”
One of the many reasons we are excited about this new Disney movie is that we will get to hear even more music from award-winning composer and performer Lin-Manuel Miranda (Moana, Hamilton)! Castro Smith shared her excitement for the film’s soundtrack and which song helped to shape Mirabel’s sister Luisa’s story. “So many of the songs are so character-specific and the musical styles that he chose are [as well]. One of the first songs Lin wrote for the movie was about [Mirabel’s] very strong sister and he chose a sort of reggaeton-inspired music. It really influenced her character. Jared and I took that character creation back into the script.“
The film will also fit into Disney’s inclusivity initiative with Director Howard sharing, “Encanto” is a celebration of diversity in more ways than one. We thought with an ensemble cast, what a great opportunity to show this family and how they have succeeded with their differences being so important. Everyone fulfills a purpose in this family and that’s one of the beautiful things you discover in the film.”
Encanto is currently set to premiere exclusively in theaters on November 24th for the Thanksgiving Holiday Weekend. Check out the trailer for Disney’s ‘Encanto’ below and be sure to check back here at Chip and Company for updates and all things Disney!
Featured Photo Credit: Disney
Source: Good Morning America
Let our friends at Destinations to Travel help you plan your next Disney Vacation! Just fill out the form below and someone will be in touch! Remember their services are 100% Free!
- ‘Hawkeye’ Series Will Have a 2-Episode Premiere on Disney+ This November - October 14, 2021
- Elvira to Guest Star in ‘The Goldbergs’ Halloween Episode on ABC - October 13, 2021
- Director James Gunn Confirms When ‘Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3’ Takes Place in the MCU Timeline - October 13, 2021