Tonga Toast is basically banana-stuffed French toast rolled in cinnamon and sugar. It’s served with a sweet strawberry compote.
First things first. We gathered all of our ingredients:
- 2 or 4 slices sourdough bread, cut 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick
- 1 banana
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- oil or shortening for frying
- whipped butter and/or syrup
- 10 large strawberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Next, we follow the instructions carefully!
- Cut a 1-inch pocket in one side of each bread slice.
- Cut banana in half crosswise, then split each piece lengthwise.
- Remove peel and stuff 2 pieces of fruit in each pocket of bread; set aside.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
- Mix well the egg, milk and vanilla.
- Heat about 4 inches of oil in a pan to 350 degrees F.
- Dip stuffed bread into egg/milk mixture and let it soak a few seconds to let penetrate bread.
- Fry bread on both sides in hot oil until lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels or wire rack.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and serve.
- Slice 6 strawberries and place in small pot.
- Add sugar and vanilla, stir.
- Cook over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes until mixture starts to boil.
- Place 4 sliced strawberries in a blender or food processor.
- Add cooked strawberry mixture and blend until smooth.
- Serve warm or cold.
Tonga Toast is delicious both with or without the strawberry compote. Have you ever had Tonga Toast? Tell us how you like to eat it!
- Menu & Pricing released for ‘Ohana reopening this July - June 10, 2021
- Work begins on Fantasmic in Hollywood Studios! Will it reopen soon? - June 10, 2021
- More play areas starting to reopen at Disney World - June 10, 2021