Christmas is upon us and many of us are rushing to the grocery store to begin our holiday cooking. If you are still searching for the perfect dessert to wow your holiday guests, look no further! Disneyland has shared one of its most indulgent festive sweets with us. At Disneyland, you can find this Milk Chocolate Candy Cane Pots de Crème dish at Winter Slingerland- one if the booths featured at California Adventure’s Festival of Holidays.
The recipe listed below serves six to eight people, and pairs wonderfully with biscotti and a late bottled vintage port wine (or if you are southern like me, a Muscadine wine also pairs nicely). And while this particular dessert is traditionally served in little “pots,” it can be also be served in a wine or martini glass.
Do keep in mind, This recipe has been converted from a larger quantity in the restaurant kitchens. The flavor profile may vary from the restaurant’s version. However, having tried it myself I can vouch for how incredible it is!
CANDY CANE POTS DE CRÈME
- 1 teaspoon powdered unflavored gelatin
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup chopped milk chocolate or milk chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Whipped cream
- Crushed peppermint candy
- Chocolate peppermint bark
FOR CANDY CANE POTS DE CRÈME
- Stir together powdered gelatin and water in small bowl; let it sit while cream heats (gelatin will solidify).
- Heat heavy cream in medium saucepan over medium heat until steaming. Do not bring to a boil.
- Once cream begins to steam, add gelatin and stir to dissolve.
- In a separate bowl, beat together egg yolks and sugar until pale in color.
- While whisking continuously, drizzle 1/2 cup of hot cream into egg yolk mixture.
- Whisk remaining egg yolk mixture into hot cream. Turn heat to low.
- Continue cooking and stirring until mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon (155°F), about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add chocolate to a large bowl and pour hot cream mixture over chocolate.
- Let sit for 1 to 2 minutes, then stir well (or carefully blend mixture in a blender or using a stick blender).
- Stir in peppermint extract.
- Strain mixture through a fine mesh sieve to remove any lumps.
- Pour into 4-ounce serving cups and refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- Once pots de crème are firm, use a pastry bag with a star tip to pipe a rosette of whipped cream on top (or dollop whipped cream on top).
- Just before serving, sprinkle with crushed peppermint candy and add peppermint bark on top of whipped cream.
Let our friends at Destinations to Travel help you plan your next Disney Vacation! Just fill out the form below and someone will be in touch! Remember their services are 100% Free!