Hello everybody! It’s time to make Tiana Gumbo Rolls!
Gumbo is a popular dish in The Princess and The Frog and in New Orleans in general, in fact, is the first food we see Tiana learning how to cook with the help of her dad. So of course we wanted to recreate this comfort dish with a little twist to make it more fun to eat.
These Tiana Gumbo Rolls recipe features hollowed out wheat rolls so is easier and more fun to eat. Let’s take a look at the recipe to learn how to make it:
TIANA GUMBO ROLLS
- 4 tbsp of all purpose-flour
- 5 tbsp of neutral oil, divided
- 1 cup of dices onion (1 large onion)
- 2 tbsp of Cajun seasoning
- 2 andouille chicken sausages, sliced into 1/4 inch coins
- 2 cups of diced bell peppers (2 bell peppers)
- 1 cup diced celery (2 to 3 celery stalks)
- 1 cup of diced carrots (2 carrots)
- 3 1/2 cups of vegetable stock or chicken stock
- 1/2 pound shrimp, any size
- 1 cup of cooked and mashed potato (1 medium potato)
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp of minced fresh parsley
- 12 whole wheat rolls
- To make the roux, in a small saucepan over medium-low heat whisk together the flour and 2 tbsp of the oil. Cook very slowly until the roux is dark brown, about 40 minutes, whisking or stirring frequently. Set aside.
- To make the gumbo, heat the remaining 3 tbsp oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, cajun seasoning, and sausages and saute for 5 minutes. Add the bell peppers, celery and carrots, and sate 5 minutes more. Then add the stock and the roux. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered until vegetables are barely soft, about 15 minutes.
- Add the shrimp to the pot, stir to incorporate, and cook covered 5 more minutes. Add the mashed potato, then taste for salt (The amount you need to add will depend on how salty your stock or broth is). Set aside to cool.
- To prepare the Tiana gumbo rolls, use an apple corer or a knife to cut out the center of each one. Leave enough bread around the edges that the stew won’t be able to soak through the edges.
- To assemble, generously spoon gumbo into the rolls.
Enjoy your Tiana Gumbo Rolls while watching The Princess and The Frog on Disney+!
Credit: Disney Princess Healthy Treats Cookbook