Missing the delicious food from Epcot today? No worries! We have the recipe of a fan favorite dish: Blue Corn Pupusa!
Stuffed with cheese topped with shredded pork, cabbage slaw and drizzled with guajillo-arbol chili sauce and aji amarillo cream, this dish is a must have for sure.
If you are visiting the Walt Disney World Resort, you can find it at the new Vibrante & Vivido Food Studio at Festival of the Arts in Epcot. But if you are not visiting Disney World anytime soon, don’t worry because we have the recipe so you can recreate it at home!
Pork with Guajillo-Arbol Chili Sauce
- 6 dried guajillo chilies
- 1 chile de arbol
- 6 cups plus 2 tbsp of water
- 1 garlic glove
- 2-3 pounds of pork butt, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- Coarse salt, to taste
- 2 tbsp of cornstarch
- 2 cups of red cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, julienne
- 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1/2 tsp of salt, plus more, to taste
- 1/4 tsp of dried oregano
- 3/4 tsp of brown sugar
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Aji Amarillo Cream
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 2 3/4 tsp of aji amarillo paste
- 1 tbsp of fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp of coarse salt, plus more, to taste
Blue Corn Pupusa
- 2 cups of blue corn masa
- 1/8 tsp of garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp of onion powder
- 1 tsp of coarse salt
- 3/4 – 1 1/2 cups of water
- 1/2 cup of grated white cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup of canola oil
- 16 freshly picked cilantro leaves
For Pork with Guajillo and Arbol Chili Sauce
- Remove stems from guajillo and arbol chiles. Heat large sauce pan over medium heat for 5 minutes, until hot. Add chilies and toast for 1-2 minute on each side, until darker in color.
- Place chilies in large pot with 6 cups of the water and garlic clove. Bring to simmer and cook, covered, for 20 minutes, until soft. Blend with immersion blender until smooth.
- Season pork generously with salt. Add to pot of water. Bring to boil. Reduce to a summer and cook, covered, for 1 hour, until pork is tender. Remove from liquid and cool for 20 minutes. Do not discard cooking liquid.
- Combine remaining 2 tablespoons of water with cornstarch in small bowl. Bring pork liquid back to a boil. Add cornstarch and water and stir until sauce thickens. Reduce heat to low.
- Shred pork and add to sauce. Season with additional salt, to taste.
- Keep warm until ready to serve.
For Red Cabbage Slaw
- Combine apple cider vinegar, water, salt, oregano, brown sugar, and chili flakes in small saucepan. Bring to boil over medium hear and cook, stirring frequently, until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Mix shredded cabbage, onions, and carrots in large bowl. Add cooled dressing and toss to coat.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, up to one day, before serving.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
For Aji Amarillo Cream
- Combine sour cream, aji amarillo paste, lime juice, and salt in medium bowl. Season with additional salt, to taste.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
For Blue Corn Pupusa
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Spray with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine masa, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt in mixing bowl. Pour in 3/4 cups of water and stir to combine. Slowly add additional water, 1/4 cup at a time, until a soft, pliable dough forms.
- Scoop dough into 1/4 cup balls and place on reserved baking sheet.
- Using your fingers, make a well in the center of each ball of dough. Fill each well with 1 tablespoon of cheddar cheese. Pinch to close dough around the well.
- Gently flatten into disks, making sure no cheese is showing.
- With caution, heat canola oil in large non-stick skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes. Cook pupusa for 2-3 minutes on each side, until dark blue in color and crispy on the outside.
- Keep warm until ready to serve.
- Place pupusa in the center of each plate. Top with pork and red cabbage slaw. Drizzle aji amarillo cream on top. Garnish with cilantro leaves.
Credit: Disney Parks
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links. Also As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Chip and Co Fans Tell Us Their Favorite Places To Eat At Disney World - February 27, 2021
- Monorail Red Has Returned To Operation At Disney World - February 27, 2021
- Learn How To Make Toy Story Chocolate Covered Strawberries! - February 26, 2021