Now you can make some delicious Colombian Buñuelos just like the ones Julieta Madrigal makes in Encanto!
If you haven’t seen Encanto yet, what are you waiting for? The movie is visually stunning, with great music and an important message about family.
Another great thing about this movie is the food that is featured, i love to see movies based in other countries because we get to know more about their culture and amazing food. In Encanto, we get to see some colombian buñuelos (cheese fritters) that look delicious! And now thanks to a recipe Disney shared recently, you can make them at home!
- 1 cup (140g) of cassava flour
- 1/2 cup (65g) of cornstarch
- 1 cup (150g) of shredded cheese, ideally queso costeño (You can also use 1 1/2 cups of mozzarella, 1 cup of feta cheese, or a combination of 3/4 cup of feta cheese + 1/4 cup of queso fresco)
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- 2 tbsp (14.2g) of butter, room temperature
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp of milk
- 3 cups of vegetable oil, for frying
- In a big mixing bowl or on a clean, flat surface, add cassava flour, cornstarch, cheese, sugar, salt, baking powder, butter, egg, and milk.
- Mix with your hands until fully combined. The dough should be easy to mold with your hands and not too dry or wet.
- In a medium pan, heat oil on high for about 3 minutes until it reaches 320-340F (160-170C), then lower the heat to medium and keep it at a constant temperature.
- Divide the dough into 32 equal portions. Roll the dough into balls.
- Fry 3-4 buñuelos at a time for about 2-5 minutes, or until gold brown. They rotate on their own to help themselve cook evenly.
- Place them on a paper towel to drain excess oil. Serve right away, but be careful since they’ll be a bit hot!