“Iron Man 3,” the third film in the “Iron Man” franchise rocketed to the second biggest domestic opening of all time. “Iron Man 3” earned $175.3-million in North America over its opening weekend, according to studio estimates on Sunday. These totals topped the former second-place spot, 2011’s “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows — Part 2” which grossed $169.1-million. Final numbers are expected later today. Marvel’s ”The Avengers” still holds the top spot for the biggest domestic debut ever when it brought in $207.4-million.
Here are some fun facts about Iron Man 3 and the Iron Man franchise:
- Iron Man 3 has already grossed more than $680 million worldwide.
- This brings the franchise total to more than $805 million in the United States and nearly $1.9 billion globally.
- When you add “The Avengers,” which starred Iron Man’s Tony Stark, these films have now grossed $3.4-billion worldwide.
- In comparison to the other movies that made its debut this weekend, “Iron Man 3” made about five times as much as the rest of the weekend’s top ten movies combined.
- Movies about super heroes now account for five of the seven biggest domestic debuts ever.
- Fifteen of the top twenty-five domestic-grossing superhero films now feature Marvel characters.
- Every Marvel film has been successful, all seven of their films have grossed more than $4.4-billion combined.
- The Walt Disney Company has now crossed the billion-dollar mark for the 19th straight year in the global box office; 2013 is the quickest it has done so
Have you seen “Iron Man 3” yet? What did you think?
When Siera isn’t helping plan Disney vacations, you can find her spreading magic on Facebook and Twitter. Are you thinking about a Disney vacation? Siera, an authorized Disney vacation planner, can help! Plus, when you book a package, you will receive a free gift card! Email her at firstname.lastname@example.org!
- Marvel’s Iron Man 3 Inventor and Innovator Fair Announces Finalist (chipandco.com)
- Marvel’s ‘Iron Man 3′ Review (chipandco.com)