Disney has lots of live action remakes up their sleeve for the next few years, and as a life-long Disney and fairy tale fanatic, I couldn’t be more exciting. Last year we got the first taste of this decade’s live action re-make line-up, with “Cinderella“, which was a financial and critical success. Then this past weekend, “The Jungle Book” opened, bringing in a whopping $103.6 million, making it the second biggest April film opening in history. But with so much news being announced on the Disney live action front, it can be hard to keep track of all the new and exciting updates surrounding Disney’s future projects! So I took the initiative to do the work for you–here is a fact sheet of what Disney has lined-up, and what we know so far:
Alice Through the Looking Glass
- A sequel to Disney’s 2010 “Alice in Wonderland” film.
- Coming out May 27th this year
- Sneak previews beginning May 6th at both Disneyland and Walt Disney World Resorts
Beauty and the Beast
- The film will star Emma Watson (Belle), Dan Stevens (Beast), Luke Evans (Gaston), and Josh Gad (Lafoo), among others.
- The film is directed by Bill Condon (who directed “Dreamgirls”, so he is definitely familiar with musicals)
- It will be a musical! (How can you have Disney’s “Beauty and the Beast” without the iconic songs that help make the film what it is?)
- Will be released March 17, 2017
The Black Cauldron
- Nothing has been officially announced yet from Disney about a live action film being made on “The Black Cauldron”, but there is suspicion one might soon be in the works, as Disney acquired the rights in March to the five-book series Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander (which “The Black Cauldron” story is a part of).
- Following the success of 2014’s “Malificent”, it has been rumored for a while that a live-action film telling the story of Cruella will be made.
- Nothing is official yet, except that Kelly Marcel is working on a possible script.
- Also in the rumor mill, Emma Stone’s name has been floating around many news sites as possibly being cast as Cruella de Vil.
- In March 2015 it was announced that Tim Burton will be directing a live-action adaptation of Dumbo. Tim Burton is no stranger to live-action adaptations, having directed “Alice in Wonderland” in 2010.
- A prequel to Disney’s 1992 “Aladdin” has been talked about being in the works.
- It is said to be a story about the Genie world, leading up to Genie being stuck in the lamp Aladdin finds.
- The script is being written by Damian Shannon and Mark Swift.
The Jungle Book 2
- No official date or year has been announced, but it was revealed last week that “The Jungle Book” director Jon Favreau is in talks with Disney to make a sequel.
- This project was announced in March 2015, with no official release date revealed yet.
- The script is being written by Elizabeth Martin and Lauren Hynek (fitting to have female writers for a film about a female warrior!)
- Just announced last week that Disney will be working on a live-action version of “Peter Pan”
- The film will be directed by David Lowrey, who is directing the upcoming “Pete’s Dragon” re-make.
- The script will be by Toby Hallbrooks
- Coming out this year August 12th.
- The film stars Bryce Dallas Howard and Robert Redford.
- Last week we got our first look at our beloved dragon–and found out that he is covered in fur!
- The project was announced April 2015.
- It was announced last year that Paul Thomas Anderson would be the writer/director, but came off this film last November.
- No news since then, so let’s keep our fingers crossed it is still being developed!
- Earlier this month it was announced that Disney picked up a script by Justin Merz, about the Grimms’ fairy tales character Rose Red.
- Although inspired by the fairy tale Rose Red character, her story will be altered to make her the sister of Snow White, who will head on an adventure with the seven dwarfs to help save her sister after biting into the Evil Queen’s poison apple.
- The script is being penned by Victoria Strouse.
- It will focus on the “Peter Pan” character Tinkerbell, the film tentatively titled “Tink“.
- Reese Witherspoon is said to be starring as Tinkerbell, as well as co-producing the film.
Winnie the Pooh
- Alex Ross Perry is writing the script.
- No further details yet, but I am definitely curious as to how the style of the animals will be. Will they be photo realistic? Puppets? More cartoonish?
I will definitely be seeing all of these films, but I think I’m most excited to see “Beauty and the Beast” and “Mulan”, since those are two of my favorite Disney animated films! One thing is for sure, with “Cinderella” and “The Jungle Book” having exceeded my expectations, I’m sure the rest of this line-up will do the same!
What live-action adaptation of a Disney animated classic do you hope will be added to this interesting array of films?