There is so much more to see and do at Walt Disney World than just four theme parks and the downtown area. We will be exploring all the “extra perks” that they have offer including tours, behinds the scenes and special little events throughout the year. Join us as we start with Animal Kingdom.
Are you Wild About Wildlife?
Have you spent time in Disney’s Animal Kingdom park and seen the staggering amount of animals that call it home? It’s home to more than 1,500 animals that represent 250 species to be exact, and it quite a feat to make sure they are all happy, healthy and thriving. Did you know there is a behind the scenes tour that gives an all new perspectives to the unique challenges involved with keeping that many animals?
The Backstage Safari
You start with an eye-opening tour of the facilities where the animals are cared for, then end with an exhilarating safari.
- Visit the Animal Nutrition Center and see how over 3 tons of food are prepared and distributed each day.
- Explore various backstage animal-housing areas, which may include elephant, giraffe and white rhino enclosures.
- Meet the animal keepers and get the backstory on the animals.
- Tour the state-of-the-art veterinary hospital, where you may even witness animals being treated.
- Stop by the Animal Programs Administration and learn how Disney promotes global wildlife conservation and animal well-being.
At the end of your tour, enjoy light refreshments and a keepsake.
A portion of the tour proceeds is donated to the Disney Worldwide Conservation Fund.
Embark on an Animal Adventure
Next, embark on an animal expedition through a lush African savanna during an exciting Kilimanjaro Safari outing.
Board a rugged open-sided vehicle for your trek through the Harambe Wildlife Reserve, home of giraffes, lions and rhinos! They’ll be roaming the 100-acre savanna in the Africa area of Disney’s Animal Kingdom park while your knowledgeable guide shares insights on the majestic creatures you encounter—and even on those you don’t.
Some Things To Know Before You Go
- Animal viewing is extremely limited, as the majority of the tour takes place in facilities behind the scenes. While there may be opportunities for animal interaction, it is not guaranteed. You will, however, see animals on the Kilimanjaro Safaris portion of the tour, which lasts about 30 minutes.
- Please keep in mind that Backstage Safari is an outdoor tour, so be sure to check the weather forecast and dress appropriately, including wearing comfortable shoes. Since it can get extremely hot during the summer months, you may want to bring your own water.
- No cameras, video equipment or cell phones may be used while backstage. Photography is allowed and encouraged in non-backstage areas.
- Guests must be 16 years of age or older and have a valid photo ID.
- Please check in at the Main Entrance of Disney’s Animal Kingdom park near the far left turnstile 15 minutes prior to the start of your tour. You will forfeit the entire price of your tour if you no-show or cancel within 2 days of your reservation.
- Tour itinerary, content, duration and availability are subject to change without notice.
Have you ever done a backstage tour at Animal Kingdom ? What was your favorite part?
Let me book your Backstage Safari or any of the other tours and events we have talked about on your next vacation. At DIF we offer personalized travel planning, lots of extras and the first Mickey Mouse Ice Cream is on me to help make your trip even more magical.
Let our friends at Destinations to Travel help you plan your next Disney Vacation! Just fill out the form below and someone will be in touch! Remember their services are 100% Free!