More Than 680,000 Episodes Started Via the ABC Player App Since its Debut, ABC is First Network to Offer Ad-supported Full Episodes on the iPad
Dedicated to expanding its network and channel brands across multiple platforms and connecting viewers with their favorite shows anytime and anywhere, Disney/ABC Television Group announces early results for its new ABC Player app for the Apple iPad.
Frequently cited as one of the top, “must-have” apps, the ABC Player app has been downloaded more than 212,000 times since the iPad’s April 3rd debut. In its first 12 days, more than 680,000 episodes of ABC series have been started via the app.
“Our new ABC Player iPad app continues our legacy of innovation in the digital space. Delivering an incredible viewing experience, the app makes it easier than ever for fans to keep up with their favorite ABC shows,” said Anne Sweeney, co-chair, Disney Media Networks and president, Disney/ABC Television Group. “We are thrilled by the overwhelmingly positive response we have received from our viewers and advertisers.”
To date the Top Five most viewed iPad episodes via the ABC Player app are:
* Modern Family (“Game Changer”)
* Lost (“The Package”)
* Lost (“Happily Ever After”)
* Grey’s Anatomy (“Sympathy for the Parents”)
* Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution (“Episode 103”)
Extending the reach of ABC.com’s full episode player onto the iPad, the ABC Player app enables users to watch ad-supported episodes from approximately 20 popular ABC series through a wi-fi connection. The application also allows iPad users to purchase downloads of episodes via the iTunes store. Designed, built and launched in less than five weeks, the ABC Player iPad app brings the full experience of ABC.com’s Emmy Award-winning full episode player to a touch-screen, handheld device for the first time.
With the release of the ABC Player app, the Disney/ABC Television Group adds another first to their array of technical innovations, becoming the first network to offer ad-supported full episodes on the iPad. Other DATG firsts include:
* 1st to offer full episodes on iTunes (October 2005)
* 1st to stream ad-supported full episodes online (May 2006)
* 1st to offer full episodes on demand on a mobile platform (w/Sprint, May 2007)
* 1st to stream episodes online in true 720p HD (Fall 2007)
* 1st to offer expert and user commentary with full episodes online (Fall 2009)
The Disney/ABC Television Group is home to all of The Walt Disney Company’s (NYSE: DIS) worldwide entertainment and news television properties. The Group includes the ABC Television Network (including ABC Daytime, ABC Entertainment Group and ABC News divisions); the Disney Channels Worldwide global kids’ TV business, ABC Family and SOAPnet; as well as distribution and syndication divisions Disney/ABC Domestic Television and Disney Media Distribution. The Disney/ABC Television Group also manages the Radio Disney Network, general interest and non-fiction book imprint Hyperion, as well the Company’s equity interest in A&E Television Networks.
Let our friends at Destinations to Travel help you plan your next Disney Vacation! Just fill out the form below and someone will be in touch! Remember their services are 100% Free!
- Trailer for the 2nd season of The World according to Jeff Goldblum is out now! - October 22, 2021
- Main Street USA Train Station Platform refurbishment now complete - October 22, 2021
- Construction to begin on Cinderella’s Royal Table - October 22, 2021