The Disney Wish will debut next summer with two brand-new theatrical productions onboard. The shows were announced this past weekend at Destination D23. The two original stage spectaculars will perform in the state-of-the-art Walt Disney Theatre. Coming to the Disney Wish are an innovative, Broadway-style take on Walt Disney Animation Studios’ “The Little Mermaid” and an embarkation day celebration helmed by Captain Minnie, Goofy and an all-star cast of Disney and Pixar characters.
Related – Marvel Stars help bring the Magic onboard the Disney Wish
A Treasure Retold – ‘Disney The Little Mermaid’
“Disney The Little Mermaid” will be an original Broadway-style stage adaptation of the renowned 1989 Disney Animation film developed exclusively for the Disney Wish. During this one-of-a-kind theatrical production, audiences will rediscover the iconic scenes, acclaimed music and beloved characters of “The Little Mermaid” while experiencing the story like never before.
In this modern-day retelling, the curtain will rise on an enchanted treasure chest at the moment it is discovered by a group of storytellers, led by a special young woman who has the power to unlock its magic. As they uncover the whozits and whatzits galore hidden within the trunk, the storytellers will take on the roles of Ariel, Ursula, Prince Eric, Sebastian, Flounder and more, bringing to life the immersive undersea world right before guests’ eyes. They’ll put their own contemporary spin on the timeless story of a young woman’s search for independence, love and a place in the world.
The creative minds at Disney Cruise Line have joined forces with a team of top Broadway talent to bring this treasured tale to life through an elaborate, whimsical and resonant storytelling experience that will offer audiences a brand-new way to be part of Ariel’s world.
“Disney The Little Mermaid” will feature innovative theatrical design, dazzling special effects, artistic choreography, and a reimagined script and score that will surprise and delight guests of all ages.
- New orchestrations of favorite songs like “Part of Your World,” “Poor Unfortunate Souls” and “Under the Sea” will enchant audiences with moving ensemble pieces and breathtaking production numbers.
- Unexpectedly playful scenic designs and state-of-the-art video projections will transform the Walt Disney Theatre into 360-degree undersea environment.
- Contemporary, interpretive costuming will reflect the show’s unique blending of a modern setting and a mystical, fantastical story.
- Cutting-edge puppetry will animate fantastical sea creatures and characters such as Sebastian, Flounder, Scuttle, and Flotsam and Jetsam in never-before-seen ways.
“‘The Little Mermaid’ is a timeless story, one that transcends generations,” said Shelby Jiggetts-Tivony, vice president, creative and advanced development, Disney Live Entertainment. “Our hope is that this new stage adaptation aboard the Disney Wish continues that incredible legacy, not by simply reenacting the elements that make the original film so powerful, but by reinterpreting it in a way that resonates with the audience sitting in the theater each night.”
Related – Disney Cruise Line to debut Disney Wish Float in Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade
An Embarkation Celebration – ‘Disney Seas the Adventure’
On their first night aboard this enchanted ship, Disney Wish guests will embark on a musical voyage into some of their favorite stories during an original musical spectacular, “Disney Seas the Adventure.” When Captain Minnie hands over the helm to her dear friend Goofy, he’ll set sail into uncharted waters on a journey to discover his own inner captain.
Along the way, Goofy will encounter a bevy of bold, brave and brilliant Disney and Pixar friends who encourage him to lead with his heart through rousing renditions of iconic Disney songs.
- Tiana will teach Goofy the power of hard work to make a dream come true during a lively performance of “Almost There” from Disney Animation’s “The Princess and the Frog.”
- Goofy will navigate to the big ocean blue where Crush and Squirt — the tubular turtles from Pixar’s “Finding Nemo” — show him how to “Go with the Flow” in a high-energy production of the song fans will recognize from “Finding Nemo – The Musical” at Disney’s Animal Kingdom
- In an original arrangement exclusive to this show, heroines Elsa, Moana and Merida will perform a powerful medley of “Let it Go,” “How Far I’ll Go” and “Touch the Sky,” emboldening Goofy to go into the unknown.
- When Goofy loses his way and self-doubt takes hold once again, he’ll gain the courage to “Go the Distance” with the help of Hercules and a host of heroes from a variety of Disney films.
The adventure will culminate in a cavalcade of characters joining Captain Minnie and Goofy on stage during a grand farewell before leading guests out of the theater and into the Grand Hall for an unforgettable sendoff experience – the ultimate “kiss goodnight” to close guests’ first day onboard.
Will you be sailing on the Disney Wish next year? We can’t wait to experience all the ship has in store for guests!
For help with planning your Disney vacation, contact me today! I am a travel agent with Destinations to Travel, a Disney Earmarked agency and my services are complimentary!
Let our friends at Destinations to Travel help you book your next Disney Vacation. They are the preferred Travel Agency of Chip and Company and Disney Addicts, and who we use ourselves.
Get started below for your FREE No Obligation Quote.
Book With our friends at Destinations to Travel
For the BEST in Disney, Universal, Dollywood, and SeaWorld Theme Park News, Entertainment, Merchandise & More follow us on, Facebook, Instagram, and Youtube. Don't forget to check out the Chip and Company Radio Network too!