Gather your family together and spend some fun time creating a Mickey Gingerbread House!
Gingerbread houses are a fun activity to spend time with your loved ones this holiday season, this year, why not adding some extra Disney magic to it! We are sure everyone will love to participate.
Learn how you can make this adorable Mickey gingerbread house from scratch with this recipe from Disney Family and have fun!:
MICKEY GINGERBREAD HOUSE
- 1/2 cup of dark brown sugar
- 1 tbsp of cinnamon
- 1 tbsp of ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp of nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tsp of ground cloves
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 stick of butter, slightly melted
- 1/4 cup of dark molasses
- 2 tbsp of water
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar
- Zip-top bag
- Red and green peppermints
- Red and green chocolate candies
- Red and green sprinkles
- Candy canes
- Combine dry ingredients in a small bowl and mix.
- Combine wet ingredients in a large bowl and mix. Then slowly add the dry to the wet, stirring constantly.
- When it becomes too thick to stir, knead with your hands. Then wrap in tin foil and place in the fridge for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, preheat the oven to 375F.
- Flour a smooth surface, take out the dough, then roll it out. (Pro tip: Cut out all your house pieces from paper first to make sure they fit together. Then use those pieces as stencils on the dough to cut out your shapes).
- Don’t forget to cut out a Mickey shaped door. Then place all dough on parchment paper on a cookie tray.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes.
- Take the pieces out of the oven, then onto a cool, flat surface and let them cool completely.
- While the pieces are cooling, add the egg whites and vanilla to a large bowl and mix. Then slowly mix in powdered sugar until the icing is pretty stiff, the stiffer the icing, the better it will hold your house together.
- Place icing in a zip-top bag and into the refrigerator.
- Take your gingerbread pieces and place them onto a large piece of parchment paper. Take out all your candies.
- Take the icing out of the fridge and cut a small piece off a corner to use as a piping bag! The first cut you make should be pretty small to use for details before you put the house together.
- Decorate each piece of the Mickey gingerbread house while it is laying flat before you put them together to form the house.
- For the front, crisscross the icing to make a pattern on the door, then use a sprinkle for the doorknob, attach it with icing, and decorate all around it (don’t forget to add some hidden Mickeys!). For the roof, create a pattern of Mickeys using peppermints and chocolate candies.
- For the sides, create a Mickey by cutting off just the curves tops of two candy canes, then use peppermints as ears! Add extra decorations with icing.
- Cut the hole in the icing bag to be a little bigger, then attach all pieces together starting with the front, back and two sides. A tip is to use glasses or mugs to keep the pieces in place while the icing hardens. Next, add the two roof pieces!
Enjoy your Mickey gingerbread house and happy holidays!
Credit: Disney Family