We are just a few short weeks away from COCO opening stateside (November 22nd) and to celebrate, Young Chefs Academy will be hosting COCO-inspired events at select locations in honor of the Disney•Pixar release. These specially created workshops will include amazing dishes influenced by the movie.
In celebration of the collaboration, Young Chefs Academy recently shared online a very special dessert recipe that celebrates COCO’s main character Miguel and his heritage as well creating a tasty treat that can be celebrated when families come together this Holiday Season – The Dulce de Leche Cheesecake.
This easy-to-follow recipe can be found on Young Chef Academy’s website but we’ll briefly outline it below:
COCO-inspired Dulce de Leche Cheesecake:
For the crust:
- 2 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 17 whole graham crackers)
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 10 Tbsp. butter, melted
For the Filling:
- 2 (8-oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup canned dulce de leche
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
For the Glaze:
- 2/3 cup canned dulce de leche
- 3 Tbsp. (or more) heavy whipping cream
- Fleur de sel
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously grease a 9″ springform pan with nonstick spray (bottom and sides).
- For the crust: In the bowl of the food processor, pulse graham crackers until you have fine crumbs.
- Mix graham cracker crumbs, sugar and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Add melted butter; stir until coated. Transfer crumb mixture to the prepared pan. Press evenly onto the bottom of the pan. Bake until crust is lightly golden, about 10 minutes. Cool completely on a rack.
- For the filling: Wipe out the bowl of the food processor; blend the cream cheese and sugar in processor until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute, stopping occasionally to scrape down sides of the bowl. Be sure not to overbeat!
- Add the eggs one at a time, processing 3 to 5 seconds to blend between additions. Add the dulce de leche and vanilla; process about 10 seconds. Spread batter evenly over cooled crust.
- Place a roasting pan of water on the bottom rack and set the springform pan on the rack above that to create steam and prevent it from drying out.
- Bake until just set in center and edges are puffed and center jiggles slightly about 38 minutes. Transfer to rack; cool completely.
- For the glaze: Heat the dulce de leche and 3 tablespoons cream in a microwave-safe bowl in 10-second intervals until melted. Stir to blend, adding more cream by teaspoonful if too thick to pour (the amount of cream needed will depend on the brand of dulce de leche).
- Pour glaze over the cooled cheesecake and spread evenly. Refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour. Lightly sprinkle bars with fleur de sel or sea salt.
Here are a handful of tips that might help you along as you prepare this delicious treat:
- TIP 1 – Make sure all of your ingredients are at room temperature otherwise you could end up with a lumpy cheesecake!
- TIP 2 – Instead of using a stick of butter to grease your pan, simply use the wrapper left from your softened butter to grease your pan.
- TIP 3 – If you’d rather use a stand mixer for the filling, use the paddle attachment as this produces less air (more air = more cracks!). But be sure not to over-mix! Over-mixing can create air pockets causing cracks in your cheesecake. You want a smooth, glossy finish.
- TIP 4 – The steam when using a roasting pan of water helps keep the cheesecake moist and prevents cracks. However, you will be covering the cheesecake with a glaze, so don’t dispare if a crack or two appears!
- TIP 5 – You’ve heard us say this over and over but do not open the oven during baking time! This reduces the temperature and can cause your cheesecake to sink or crack.
Don’t forget to check out COCO when it opens in cinemas in just a few short weeks. To find out more about Young Chefs Academy and the courses they offer visit their website here.
Thinking about a visit to Disney? There are still fantastic 2017 packages to be had and 2018 discounts are now available! Fill out our form below to receive your FREE quote.
Find articles like this helpful? Then why not consider working with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner? As an agent with MickeyTravels, I’ll be on hand to help you with everything from finding your perfect package to nabbing those hard-to-get dining and FastPass reservations as well as sharing tips and tricks to help you get the most out of your time at the parks. Best of all my services are absolutely FREE. Find out more about my serives here.
Get in touch at 1.800.801.4025 via email at email@example.com or follow along on Facebook.
Image copyright Disney.
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links. Also As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.