If you have ever been to Epcot, you probably know the amazing School Bread! And if you don’t, no worries, we have a recipe for you!
This delicious treat can be found at the Norway Pavilion in the World Showcase at Epcot. It’s a must have snack and the most requested one at this location. Honestly, we totally get why, imagine a sweet bread roll injected with vanilla custard and covered in sweet icing and toasted coconut, our mouths are watering already!
School Bread is a classic Norwegian snack that kids took to school in their packed lunches or parents sold at bake sales. And now you can make it at home by following this recipe from Key Ingredient:
- 2 cups of water
- 1 packet or 2 1/4 tsp of dry yeast
- 3 1/2 oz of sugar
- 2 1/2 oz of butter (melted)
- 1 tsp of cardamom
- 2 pounds of flour
- 1 whole egg
- 1 2/3 cups of milk
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1/4 tsp of vanilla extract
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp of corn starch
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp of milk or water
- 1/4 tsp of vanilla
- 8 oz of shredded coconut
For The Pastry
- Heat water and butter to 95 degrees.
- Mix flour, sugar, cardamom, yeast, water, and butter together for 5 minutes until dough is stiff.
- Form it like a ball and place in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let proof and let proof for 45 minutes, or until dough has double in size.
- Roll the dough out like a sausage and cut into five ounce pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and put them on a non-stick sheet pan and let them proof for 30 minutes.
- Bake for 15 minutes in 375 degree oven. Let cool or ice while warm for a thinner glaze, but let cool before adding custard.
For Vanilla Custard
- In heavy sauce bring milk to a boil. Set aside.
- Beat eggs, sugar and vanilla in a bowl until the mixture doubles by volume. Add the hot milk a few drops at a time to tamper the eggs. Mix well after each addition.
- Place in metal mixing bowl and place over double boiler. Dissolve cornstarch in a little water and add in a thin stream while stirring constantly until it thickens to proper consistency. It must not boil. Cool by placing pan in ice bath.
- Mix powdered sugar, vanilla, and water or milk (use small amounts until proper consistency is achieved) to make icing and place in shallow pan.
- Form a hole in the bread using your finger. Dip bread in icing (hole side down) and sprinkle with shredded coconut.
- Using a pastry bag, squeeze vanilla custard inside of the hole and swirl at top for decorations.
Credit: Recipe by KeyIngredient
- You Can Order A Virgin Mai Tai Frappuccino At Starbucks! - June 16, 2021
- Change Your Fate With These Brave Banana Cherry Teacakes! - June 15, 2021
- Wakey Wakey Vegan Hash Recipe To Start Your Day! - June 14, 2021