Disneyland is known as “the happiest place on earth” and is a top destination for most families. It can also be a very expensive place. But, if you plan ahead and try some of these tips for saving money, you’ll be able to enjoy your trip without putting a huge dent in your wallet!
- Make an autograph book. Autograph books are a must have for many families visiting Disneyland. These books can cost up to $30 depending on where you purchase them and what options they come with. Making one yourself is much cheaper and adds a more personal touch. Buy a small generic photo album and add colorful paper for character’s signatures. Then you can add photos with the characters as well!
- Purchase souvenirs in advance. You can find Disney items practically anywhere these days. From Target and Walmart to the dollar store, there are many places where you can save money on items for your trip. Instead of buying something from every shop in Disneyland, you can pull out a Disney toy for your child that you already bought at a cheaper price! Also, if your child wants to dress up while at Disneyland, shop around for Disney costumes and dress up clothes before you go to the park.
- Bring your own stroller/wheelchair. If you are planning on using a stroller or wheelchair, it’s cheaper to bring your own. Stroller rentals at Disneyland are $15 a day and wheelchair rentals are $12 a day. You aren’t allowed to take either of those outside of the park areas. So, if your little ones are asleep at the end of a long park day, you’ll have to wake them up or carry them back to your hotel or shuttle. Your best options are to bring your own or rent from an outside company that will drop off and pick up the rental at your hotel.
- Eat breakfast before going to the parks. Most hotels in the Disneyland area will offer a continental breakfast or have a mini fridge in each room. If your room comes with a fridge, stock up on breakfast items like milk, cereal, yogurt, and fruit. This will save you a good deal of money since breakfast can cost almost as much as lunch and dinner if you eat in the parks. If you want to eat out, there are a few local restaurants in the area, like IHOP, Denny’s and McDonald’s.
- Bring your own food & drinks. Disney will allow most outside food and drink items into the parks. Disney will not allow hard-sided coolers, large coolers, glass containers (except baby food or medications), or alcoholic beverages. Take in snacks for the day or pack a lunch. If you want soda or bottled water, take those in with you because drinks in the parks are around $3 each. Disney sells strictly Coke products, so if you’re a Pepsi drinker, you’ll want to bring in your drinks. Stick to the quick service/counter service restaurants in the parks to also save money.
- Go during the off-season. To make the most of your money, visit Disneyland Resort during the off-season. September-March (excluding December) tend to be less crowded and even hotels can be cheaper. Also, try to stay away from the parks on holidays as those tend to be more crowded. If you’re only able to visit during peak season, try to go on a weekday. Planning your trip around the peak season will help you to save money and have a better experience overall.
- Take your kids before age 3. Children under the age of 3 get into the parks for free! Even if your child turns 3 on your trip, they’ll get in for free so long as they are 2 at the beginning of your trip. If you’re able to plan a trip while your child is under 3, you can save a good amount of money.
- Watch for special offers and discounts. During the year Disneyland will release different offers and discounts. Sometimes they are ticket only discounts and other times they are vacation package special offers. Keep a lookout for discounts for the dates you want to travel!
With the right planning and preparation, you can make your Disneyland trip more affordable! For help booking a magical Disney vacation, email me today!
Let our friends at Destinations to Travel help you plan your next Disney Vacation! Just fill out the form below and someone will be in touch! Remember their services are 100% Free!