Recently the awesome folks at Kings Bowl Orlando contacted me about coming in for a visit, and I have posted a disclaimer about this at the bottom of this post. Kings Bowl Orlando is a retro-style bowling alley, full-service lounge and restaurant, swanky bar and entertainment center all rolled into one 30,000 square foot building! Here are your top 5 reasons theme park fans will love Kings Bowling Orlando.
5. Appreciation for sights and sound! The focus is on classic, retro-inspired décor. From the moment you step inside Kings Orlando, you are greeted by a hip, retro-inspired vibe that makes you enjoy navigating between a friendly evening at the lanes, great food in the restaurant, and so much more. From the start, Kings set out to create a unique and memorable entertainment experience by emphasizing world-class food, cold beer, creative cocktails, cutting edge technology, and great music. The first Kings opened its doors in 2003 in the heart of Boston’s historic Back Bay, with a goal to focus on recapturing and rekindling the fun and escape of bowling which had faded since its heyday. The 1950’s and 1960’s are considered to be the golden age of bowling and Kings’ award-winning design and décor captures this nostalgic feeling, while adding modern twists.
Modern music comes from the 150 speakers and a state-of- the-art sound system that is placed perfectly – so that you won’t hear the people in the bar singing karaoke – and they won’t hear the music coming from other areas. Check out this sound system!
4. Theme park enthusiasts appreciate a wide variety of things to do in one place – and Kings has you covered. Let’s start with the obvious – the bowling! There are no less than 22 ten-pin ultramodern bowling lanes.
You can book parties and birthday celebrations inside the jaw-dropping private bowling and meeting spaces that are complimented by over 60 huge HDTV’s and enormous HD projector screens. The King Pin room is amazing and completely private (once you pull the curtain closed of course!)
Shuffleboard! This isn’t my grandma’s shuffleboard. This version is actually a regulation shuffleboard table. It is totally indoors, and the board is covered in sawdust. It reminded me of a grown up sandbox. Very fun!
Karaoke! There’s no video, but I may have belted out a song or two since we visited on a Thursday. Kings also has Western Wednesdays, as well as DJ’s and dancing on the weekends.
Billiards! This is just one of the four full-size tables that they have at Kings.
Outdoor bocce ball court! This is one of only a few in Central Florida – which explains why I had never heard of the game before. The guys in our group had a blast playing this game. The court can be converted to a putting green as well, and Kings has putting contests on Father’s Day each year.
Ping Pong! Now if all of this isn’t enough – I got the inside scoop on what’s coming soon to Kings Orlando. They are actually installing an area similar to the Blazing Paddles Ping Pong Palace that they have in Fenway Park. Think theater curtains and full size ping-pong tables. You will be free to send tiny white balls flying at high speeds without having to worry about the whole bending-over-to-pick-them-up part. They’ll have people walking around with special nets for that, and of course, a giant picture of Forrest Gump in all of his Ping Pong glory.
3. Proximity to theme parks! At just 15 minutes from Disney and 7 minutes from Universal and Sea World – Kings is a great place to spend an evening in Orlando if you are staying near the theme parks, but are ready for a different atmosphere. The brand new Madame Tussaud’s wax museum will be nearby as well, and the 430 foot tall Orlando Eye will be so close that Kings already has plans to put signage on their roof. That way when you look out from your air conditioned ferris wheel car you’ll know you can come in to Kings and get a discount on some bowling!
2. Great cocktails and desserts! Most theme park fans would agree that fun, creative drinks and desserts are central to any entertainment experience, and Kings has an extensive menu, as well as two separate bars. I really enjoyed sampling the Strawberry Pop Rocktini (rimmed with actual Strawberry Pop Rocks!) and the famous Gummi Bear Martini.
Crowd favorites also include the Fizzy Lifting Drink which includes dry ice for a cool, smoky effect. If you’re in the mood to share, go for the Big Baller. Priced at $150 – this drink is made for 4 or more and includes Grey Goose, white grape juice, strawberry puree with fresh strawberries and is topped with Veuve Champagne. The remaining champagne is served as a toast. Thirsty for beer on tap? Kings is equipped with tap tables. Just pre-order your beer (programmed into the digital tap) and then pour yourself a fresh glass. The tap keeps track of your usage so your server can bill you at the end of your meal. (By the way, you must be 21 or over to enter the premises after 8pm Sunday Night through Thursday Night and after 6pm on Friday & Saturday Nights. All persons must present a valid legal ID for proof of age.)
Drinks without alcohol still offer up a healthy dose of nostalgia. Wicked Awesome Milkshakes come in your choice of several flavors or you may choose to go with an old fashioned fountain soda such as a Roy Rogers, Shirley Temple, or a chocolate Coke! Desserts include triple chocolate cake with hazelnuts and creme anglaise, as well as sundaes that are all sized for sharing. My friend cheated on his normally vegan diet – and ordered a Peanut Butter Cup Sundae made with vanilla ice cream, warm peanut butter sauce, chocolate sauce, and mini peanut butter cups. Totally irresistible!
1. Food is it’s own theme park! The staff at Kings leave nothing to be desired and all of our servers were wonderful. Kings’ menu is extensive and features all kinds of fare from burgers and wings to steak, seafood and barbecue ribs.The executive chef at Kings Orlando was trained by Jasper White – who attended the James Beard Cooking School. James Beard was anointed the “Dean of American cookery” by the New York Times in 1954. All of the food is made from scratch. Even the pickles are pickled “in house”. Robert Morris, Marketing and Operations Manager said proudly, “This is not bowling alley food.”. He was so right. The Steakhouse Burger was literally the best burger I have ever had. Even if you don’t love to bowl, almost everyone can appreciate this wonderful food!
Hummus and Veggie Plate
BBQ Chicken Pizza
Fresh Mozzarella Sandwich
Grilled Cheese Sandwich
I hope you enjoyed this list of top 5 reasons that theme park fans will love Kings Bowling Orlando, and here is a bonus! Just like most Theme Park enthusiasts, Kings mascot, Woody, enjoys a great roller-coaster. Check him out in this hilarious video! http://youtu.be/GZhN7zvrX78
*Disclaimer: My party and I were treated to free food, bowling and games at the offering of Kings Bowling Orlando. We chose to tip our servers from our own pockets for their exceptional service. Opinions expressed in this post are still mine and have not been edited or influenced by Kings Bowling Orlando in any way. I only endorse products or services that I believe are worthy of such endorsement.
Krista Joy is a former Disney cast member and current head author at Disneyways.com and co-host of the Disney Parks Podcast. Krista was born and raised in the heart of Orlando Florida – where she still lives – with her awesome husband Chris and her wonderful sons - Bradley and Scott.
Latest posts by Krista (see all)
- What Size Cooler Can You Take In The Disney Parks? - January 19, 2015
- Two very special and affordable events coming to Orlando for Disney fans: Don’t Miss Out! - November 6, 2014
- 6 Reasons to Check out Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Presents CIRCUS XTR EME and How to Get a Free Ticket for Your Baby! - October 23, 2014