I love fall! The leaves, the smell in the air, the crisp breeze, and pumpkin flavored everything! I especially love fall at Walt Disney World. There is always something to celebrate at the Disney parks, but during autumn there is an extra air of excitement. I’ve created a list of my top 10 things to love about fall at Walt Disney World. Make sure not to miss out on these seasonal favorites!
- Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party: My favorite event at Disney is MNSSHP! I love how guests, young and old, dress up and really get into the spirit. Hallowishes and the Boo to You parade are some of the best displays on property. Cast Members really get into these parties as well. Many will have special costumes that they wear only for the event and there are Cast Members out who are specifically assigned to play games with guests and to just have fun! There is trick or treating throughout the Magic Kingdom, specialty desserts, event specific merchandise, “rare” character meet and greats, dance parties, and so much more.
- Epcot Food and Wine Festival: I mean, do I really need to say more? Epcot. Food. Wine. What else do you need? The lines for this event can be quite long, but so worth it. Pick up a Food and Wine Passport and plan which booths you don’t want to miss before heading into the crowds. Don’t be afraid to try something out of your comfort zone. Another tip for finding great food; head to the end of the line where guests have already gotten their food and have started to eat and ask them what they thought!
- Autumn Decorations: Fall at Magic Kingdom provides some amazing photo opportunities. Scarecrows welcome you into the park and are great additions to a family photo. The pumpkins along Main Street, U.S.A. each feature their own unique design. Take a moment to check them out as you race to the Haunted Mansion.
- Eat to the Beat Concert Series: Another event at Epcot, sample a unique wine from a nearby stand and enjoy a concert from acts such as Fuel, Jim Brickman, Los Lonely Boys, and David Cook. Past acts have included Hanson, and Sugar Ray. Concerts are included in park admission price.
- Fall Treats: It’s not just the decorations that get a festive boosts. Loved snacks such as cupcakes, rice crispy treats, and specialty apples are also themed for the fall and Halloween season.
- The Weather: Yes, I know, this one may be seem a little silly, but trust me, weather is a very important factor to my level of fun. Fall in Florida can be beautiful! The days usually stay around a high seventy or low eighty degrees, the humidity is lowered, and the nights are cool enough for a leisurely stroll through the world showcase.
- Fall Savings: It’s no coincidence that most of my Disney vacations fall in the month of October. Of course there are all the great reasons I’ve already mentioned to visit during this time, but another huge factor is fall discounts. Guests visiting Walt Disney World this fall can receive up to 30% off select Disney resorts.
- Villains: There’s nothing better than a Disney Villain and we hear Disney is working on a Disney Villain Stage show for Hollywood Studios.
- Merchandise: I’m a sucker for a pumpkin with Mickey ears on it. Put out a votive holder, ear hat, t-shirt, pretty much anything and I will be reaching for my credit card. I think that Disney holiday merchandise is a great way to decorate at home for the holidays. Each year when you pull out that souvenir you will remember all the memories you made on that special trip.
- The Guests: I find myself interacting with other guests the most during fall events at WDW. Maybe I’m just that annoying person who likes to strike up conversations in line for the restroom, but I feel that there is more of an openness between guests during the fall. Asking someone how they liked their wine from the France pavilion, or asking if they have tried the soup at the Canadian pavilion (omg! You have to try it!), or complimenting a family on their unique costumes. It’s a great way to pass the time in lines, get to know people, and pick up a few tips and suggestions along the way.
Any time you visit Disney Parks you are sure to have an amazing time, but take a little extra time during the fall to enjoy all the extra perks and events that take place around the property. What are some of your favorite fall memories from Disney? Let us know in the comments below.
Monica is an Alumni of the Disney College Program. When she is not walking down the middle of Main Street USA you can find her wandering the World Showcase, or enjoying a Dole Whip while racing to her favorite attractions. When she is forced to endure life outside of Walt Disney World, you can find her in Ann Arbor, Michigan where she lives and works.