Did you know that July is National Ice Cream Month (so proclaimed by President Reagan in 1984)? And National Ice Cream Day is the third Sunday in July which is today!
It’s the perfect opportunity to daydream about our favorite ice cream treats at Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort. And while we love the simple, choco-dipped Mickey Mouse ice cream bar from a street cart, or a double-dipped cone, these are the treats that go far, far beyond – decadent and worth every calorie.
- Any list has to begin with the Kitchen Sink at Beaches & Cream at Disney’s Beach Club Resort. So, you need a few pals to share, but it’s only eight scoops, every topping imaginable and a whole can of whipped cream.
- Hands-down favorite shake is the peanut butter and jelly shake at 50’s Prime Time Cafe at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. We’ve been known to skip the meal and just sip a tall shake at the bar at the adjacent Tune-In Lounge.
- At Epcot, we head to Fountainview Cafe for a classic hot fudge sundae – whipped cream and a cherry, served in an edible waffle bowl. Need we say more?
- Scoops are an easy parade treat, but we go all out with the Original Banana Split at the Plaza Restaurant in Magic Kingdom park: chocolate, vanilla and strawberry ice cream topped with hot fudge, strawberry sauce, crushed pineapple, chopped nuts, whipped cream and a cherry. Yum!
- When we’re shopping (or taking an intended detour) to Downtown Disney Marketplace, we make a beeline for Ghirardelli Soda Fountain & Chocolate Shop and order The Haight AshBerry Very Berry Sundae with strawberry cheesecake ice cream smothered with sliced strawberries under a layer of vanilla ice cream with blueberry topping, whipped cream, chocolate-covered blueberries and a chocolate dipped waffle roll. Well, at least there’s fruit.
- The old-fashioned root beer float (we used to call it a “black cow”) quenches our thirst on a hot summer afternoon at Camp Soft Serve at Camp Mickey-Minnie at Disney’s Animal Kingdom. The smooth vanilla soft serve ice cream melds with the kicky root beer and takes us back to childhood.
- In Disneyland park, we always stop at Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlor for the Firehouse Dalmatian Mint Sundae – two scoops of mint chocolate chip ice cream served in a waffle cup and topped with whipped cream, chocolate chips and a cherry. Sometimes this is lunch!
- At Downtown Disney District at the Disneyland Resort, we love playing at ESPN Zone then ordering the chocolate chip cookie sundae – a Nestle Toll House cookie topped with vanilla ice cream, hot fudge, caramel sauce and whipped cream. One more trip up the rock wall!
- At PCH Grill at Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel, we eat light and then order the Splitsville Sundae with banana, three scoops of ice cream, caramel syrup (or you can choose chocolate), nuts or sprinkles. Plenty to share.
- Our final pick, perhaps saving the best for last, is the Farmer’s Market Sundae at Catal at Downtown Disney District, an exquisite creation of balsamic ice cream with mint granita and mascarpone mousse. The sweet-tart ice cream, bracing granita and buttery mascarpone is a heavenly match.
We’re sure you have your own favorites – share them with us!
Source Disney Parks Blog
- The Best Ice Cream at WDW – Downtown Disney’s Ghirardelli Soda Fountain (chipandco.com)
- How to make your own Dole Whip’s (chipandco.com)
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links. Also As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- City Works Eatery and Pour House at Disney Springs unveils online ordering - January 16, 2021
- Jeff Vahle & Josh D’Amaro share inside look at Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser - January 15, 2021
- New WandaVision Cupcake at Disney Springs - January 15, 2021