We recently took a look at the huge line-up of fairy tale live action films Disney has coming out over the next few years. Now it’s time to take a look back at what the top 10 highest grossing live action movies from Walt Disney Studios from of all time are!
10. Cinderella – The 2015 version of “Cinderella” seems well-deserved of a top 10 spot of Walt Disney Studios film, with incredible story telling, acting, and visuals. It is first film in the upcoming fairy tale live action movie trail. It could very soon though be bumped down to number 11 as “The Jungle Book” made $103.2 million opening weekend, compared to Cinderella’s $67.8 million opening weekend. “Cinderella” grossed $201,151,353
9. National Treasure: Book of Secrets – With the first “National Treasure” film having such a big fan following, it’s no wonder this film makes the top 10, having had much fan excitement and anticipation of the film franchise releasing a sequel. The film grossed $219,964,115
8. Oz The Great and Powerful – Everyone loves the class “Wizard of Oz”, and to see Disney paired with the world of Oz was like a fairy tale lover’s dream come true! The film grossed $234,911,825
7. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tide’s – Many fans (including myself) flocked to theaters to see this movie, since it had been many years in the waiting to get a fourth “Pirates” movie. I am guessing that when the 5th movie comes out in 2017 it will take a top ten spot as well. The film grossed $241,071,802
6. Maleficent – This movie was a must-see for any Disney fan. This villain is extremely mysterious and intriguing, and it was incredible to learn about a different point of view of Maleficent. Following the success of this film, there’s been much talk about a possible “Cruella” movie. The film made $241,410,378
5. The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe – This is based on a book dear to so many, and a part of most of our childhoods. It was incredible to see the world of Narnia come to life on the big screen! The film grossed $291,710,957
4. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl – The first “Pirates” film, and the one that started all the Pirates movie craze. This is my personal favorite Pirates movie, definitely worthy of a top 10 spot in my opinion! The film grossed $305,413,918
3. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End – This was the final film in the initial Pirates trilogy. I remember all of us Pirates fans had to get to theaters opening weekend, eager to see what happened next after the cliffhanger in the second Pirates movie! The film grossed $309,420,425
2. Alice in Wonderland – The 2010 Tim Burton “Alice” was such a unique, whimsical take on this classic. It was a story we are all familiar with from watching the animated film, but was different enough to feel like a completely new movie. With such great box office numbers, it’s no wonder its sequel “Alice Through the Looking Glass” comes out May 27th. This film grossed $334,191,110
1. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest – After the success of the first “Pirates” movie took the world by storm, and had three years to build a fan base, the first “Pirates” sequel was highly anticipated. The film’s opening even inspired Imagineers to include animatronics from the film in Pirates of the Caribbean rides at Disney parks. This film grossed a whopping $423,315,812
Having seen all of these fantastic movies, none on this list are surprising! (Also, does anyone else notice that Johnny Depp seem’s to be Walt Disney Studio’s good luck charm?) I anticipate “The Jungle Book” and “The BFG” might end up taking a top 10 spot once they’re released.
What is your favorite film on this list? What do you think is worthy of a top 10 spot?
Let our friends at Destinations to Travel help you plan your next Disney Vacation! Just fill out the form below and someone will be in touch! Remember their services are 100% Free!