Guests visiting Walt Disney World gluten free or with food allergies will be surprised at the treasure trove of food options available to them while visiting the parks and resorts. Known for their terrific food allergy and gluten free accommodations, Disney is well equipped at providing safe and tasty food options. In a recent article, we discussed the top 10 best restaurants for food allergies on property, and in this article we’ll cover specific food finds for gluten free & food allergy diners.
Without further ado, here are the top 10 gluten free and food allergy foods at Disney World.
10. Sushi: This is one of those food finds that offers guests with various special dietary needs a chance to indulge. Gluten free diners will be very happy that most locations on property can also accommodate gluten free sushi, including providing gluten free soy sauce! Some of the best locations include: California Grill (where they even have a special diets sushi menu), Kona Cafe, Splitsville, and Kimonos. My favorites are the Fantasty Roll at Splitsville, the California Luau Roll at Kona Cafe, and the Sashimi at California Grill.
9. Sundaes: Did you know that you can get gluten free and dairy free sundaes at Disney? Sundaes at the Plaza include lots of toppings, and you can even get a banana split. Beaches n’ Cream offers their version of a sundae complete with peanut butter sauce. Looking for a gluten free and dairy free brownie sundae? Head over to 50’s Prime Time Cafe. Their version is outstanding with a house-made allergy friendly brownie. Most locations carry both Tofutti and Rice Dream non-dairy ice cream for guests needing special dietary options.
8. Cupcakes: Looking for the perfect cupcake that’s free of many of the top common allergens? Then you must head to Babycakes NYC in Downtown Disney. This kiosk can be found in the Pollo Campero and Bodie’s All American building and has a dedicated bakery that provides a variety of baked goods that are free of gluten, dairy, egg, and soy. They are best known for their cupcakes — including the chocolate brownie cupcake with mint frosting (my personal favorite!). You can also get their 4-pack of mini cupcakes at a variety of locations on property including:
- The Beach Club Marketplace at Disney’s Beach Club Resort
- The Boardwalk Bakery at Disney’s Boardwalk
- The Gardens Kiosk at Disney’s Animal Kingdom
- The Mara at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge
- Landscape of Flavors at Disney’s Art of Animation Resort
- The End Zone at Disney’s All Star Sports Resort
7. Dole Whips: Nothing is more iconic in Disney than a Dole Whip. Guests who are gluten free can easily indulge in this frozen delight. The pineapple and orange flavors recently became dairy free & vegan this past year, making them a long sought after treat. However, guests with dairy allergies should avoid these, as they are served in a facility with the vanilla flavored Dole Whip, which still contains dairy.
6. Fried Chicken: Fried chicken? For a food allergy and gluten free? Yes, Disney can provide this at 50’s Prime Time Cafe. With advance notice, they can whip up this delicious treat along with dairy free mashed potatoes and even gluten free gravy. This dish takes up to 45 minutes to prepare and requires special ingredients, so make sure to contact the Walt Disney World Special Diets Department if you wish to enjoy this entree on your next visit. And you’ll definitely want to. It’s just like mom makes!
5. Chicken Tenders: Sticking with the fried chicken theme, guests who want a quick fried chicken fix should head to their favorite quick service locations for the allergy friendly chicken tenders served on property. These tenders come from the same vendor and are utilized at many QS locations. Some locations don’t have a dedicated fryer, which means they will be baked and not fried, while others have perfected the deep fried deliciousness in those dedicated fryers. Columbia Harbour House is a hands down favorite for allergy chicken tenders. They have frying down to an art!
4. French Fries: French fries are a must. Especially when you normally can’t get them out safely. While some locations do use soy based oils to fry, most utilize canola oil. Be sure to check with a manager to make sure they are prepared in a dedicated fryer and indulge with a big dollop of ketchup or mayonnaise, or my personal favorite the curry mango mayonnaise at Kona Cafe.
3. Beignets: Speaking of deep fried deliciousness, this is hands down one of my favorite gluten free and dairy free indulgences on property. Found at Sassagoula Floatworks & Food Factory at Disney’s Port Orleans French Quarter, guests who are gluten free and have food allergies will be overjoyed by these little puffs of sweetness. Utilizing a dedicated fryer, these beignets are available for any guest who inquires and has a few extra minutes to spare. And why wouldn’t you for something deep fried, smothered in powdered sugar and food allergy friendly?
2. Popcorn: This is a hands down must-do for guests who are gluten free and dairy free. It’s a Disney tradition, and there’s nothing quite like visiting Main Street U.S.A. and grabbing a hot popcorn. Guests who taste this would swear it’s loaded with butter, but it’s not. That’s coconut oil and some other flavorings replicating that buttery deliciousness. Be sure to grab some while watching the parade or fireworks.
1. Waffles: Perhaps the most exciting thing on Disney property are the allergy friendly Mickey waffles. Yes, folks Mickey waffles. These adorable waffles are made to be as allergy friendly as possible and even are made with multiple batters to accommodate special dietary needs. They are also made in dedicated waffle makers. And let’s be honest, everything taste better Mickey shaped! Visit Disney’s Art of Animation and you’ll be treated to mini Nemo waffles using the same allergy friendly waffle batter. How cute!
So there you have it. A list of some of the best gluten free and food allergy food finds. Did any of them surprise you?
What are your favorite food items at Disney that are gluten free and food allergy friendly?
When Sarah isn’t sharing planning tips about the Walt Disney World Resort, you can find her at Gluten Free & Dairy Free at WDW where she writes dining reviews and shares tips and tricks about dining at Disney with a special diet.
Let our friends at Destinations to Travel help you book your next Disney Vacation. They are the preferred Travel Agency of Chip and Company and Disney Addicts, and who we use ourselves.
Get started below for your FREE No Obligation Quote.
Book With our friends at Destinations to Travel
For the BEST in Disney, Universal, Dollywood, and SeaWorld Theme Park News, Entertainment, Merchandise & More follow us on, Facebook, Instagram, and Youtube. Don't forget to check out the Chip and Company Radio Network too!