Disney’s Animal Kingdom celebrates World Rhino Day this week with some very special news. They are expecting three baby rhinos to be born! This is wonderful news given that white rhinos are listed as an endangered species.
The animal care team is proud to announce that that have three pregnant white rhinoceros in their care. It’s the first time Disney’s Animal Kingdom has ever had this many horns and hooves on the horizon.
- Kendi, who was the first rhino born at Disney’s Animal Kingdom in 1999, is the first due, with a calf expected to be born sometime this October.
- Jao is expecting to give birth sometime in fall 2021.
- And rounding out the “crash,” which is what we call a rhino herd, Lola is due in fall / winter 2021.
All three rhinos were chosen to breed through Species Survival Plans (SSPs). The plans are overseen by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums to ensure the responsible breeding of endangered species. Disney is trying to help ensure the future of such animals, so these programs do help!
Wildlife conservation efforts are vital to the survival of many animal species. Wildlife experts work towards protecting the future of the white rhino species. Being mindful about our planet and caring for animal life show why conservation efforts are so important. Be sure to check out “Magic of Disney’s Animal Kingdom” streaming on Disney+ to learn more about Disney’s animal projects!
Photo Credit: Disney
Let our friends at Destinations to Travel help you plan your next Disney Vacation! Just fill out the form below and someone will be in touch! Remember their services are 100% Free!
- Liberty Square Riverboat returns after brief refurbishment - September 3, 2021
- ‘Eternals’ Actor Kumail Nanjiani Visits Avengers Campus - September 1, 2021
- Rocket & Groot Join Disney Fab 50 Character Statues at EPCOT - September 1, 2021