There are some many articles out there about how to cut costs and save money when planning for and while on your Disney vacation. Saving is important, especially in the still hurting economy, but there are some amazing experiences available at Disney World that are worth spending a little extra money. Not all splurges are worth it for everyone, but adding just one of these experiences could add more magic to your already magical Disney World vacation.
Here are the top ten experiences at Disney World that are worth splurging on.
- Length of Stay – Do you only spend a few days at Disney World? It is recommended that you spend one day at each park, but there is so much to see and do between the four parks, that four days is not enough to see and do even half of it! Epcot and Magic Kingdom are both easily at least two day parks. So why not add a few extra days to your trip? More time in the parks does mean spending more, but as you add more days the tickets get cheaper by day. More days means more magic.
- Stay on Property – Staying at a Disney World resort has a lot of advantages that include transportation, Magicbands, the ability to purchase the dining plan, and Extra Magic Hours. There are over 25 resorts on property, with three different categories – deluxe, moderate, and vale – so there is something to fit every budget. So, staying on site is not that much of a splurge in comparison – but it is certainly worth it!
- Add to Your Collection – Everyone has a collection, or knows someone that has one. And if you don’t have one of your own, what are you waiting for?! I personally collect pins, and I love to add to the collection on each of my Disney vacations. So, whether you collect pins, snow globes, ornaments, or whatever it is that you collect, don’t hold back! Allow yourself to add to your collection every time you visit Disney World.
- Park Hoppers – One park per day tickets are certainly the way to go if you’re looking to save money, but if you want the ability to experience the magic of more than one park per day you’ll require a Park Hopper ticket. These tickets give you the option to experience one, two, three, or all four parks in the same day. I can easily spend all day at Animal Kingdom, but when it closes at 5pm I am normally not ready to call it a day. With a park hopper ticket I can hop on a bus to Magic Kingdom and continue to enjoy the magic.
- Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique or Pirates League – This is one is just for the little ones. Give your prince or princess the royal treatment at Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique. Girls can be transformed into princesses during a makeover including hair, makeup and a costume. Boys can be transformed into knights! If royalty isn’t their thing then they can go the way of the sea. Boys and girls can get pirate makeovers at the Pirates League. If you’re little princess prefers a more girly approach she can opt for the mermaid makeover!
- Character Meals – Character meals are a great way to meet your favorite characters without having to wait in long lines. You just sit and enjoy you meal and then characters will come to you. There are quite a few character meals on property, both in the parks and at resorts, and they aren’t just available for breakfast. These meals are splurges because they are sit down meals and therefore more pricey than quick service meals, but they are worth it. Not only do you get to meet characters without lines, but on the dining side of things these meals are almost always buffets or are served family style. So, enjoy for time with characters and all of the delicious food that you can eat.
- Signature Dining – Signature dining is a great way to experience well, a higher quality experience. Signature restaurants can be found all around the Disney World Resort, and they are especially great for those on their honeymoon, an anniversary trip, or even just for parents that want a date night away from the kids. Adding just one signature dining experience can completely change your entire trip.
- Attend a Party – Or take a cruise! The Pirate and Pals Fireworks Voyage offers guests the opportunity to dine on pirate snacks before setting sail to watch Wishes! A special guest also awaits travelers when they return to the dock. The Ferrytale Dessert and Fireworks Cruise gives guests another opportunity to view Wishes from the water. Dine on delicious desserts, view a gorgeous nighttime display in the sky, and get a souvenir to take home with you. There are also dessert parties back on land and all three parks. The Wishes Fireworks Dessert Party at Magic Kingdom, the Illuminations Sparkling Dessert Party at Epcot, and the Symphony in the Stars: A Galactic Spectacular Dessert Party. All of these offer guest the opportunity to have a prime viewing location for these nighttime spectaculars and to enjoy tasty treats. There are also two tea parties available. Afternoon Tea included tea, sandwiches and scones can be enjoyed at the Garden View Tea Room at the Garden Floridian Resort and Spa. The Perfectly Princess Tea is also available and each guest will leave with take home gifts – guest may also have the opportunity to meet with Aurora at this tea.
- The Dining Plan – Depending on how much your family eats, this one could either be a splurge or it could actually save you money. Purchasing the dining plan gives you the opportunity to not have to worry about the cost of food while you are actually on vacation. All of your meals are pre-paid and you use credits at dining locations. There are three different tiers of dining plans. The lowest, the quick service plan offers 2 quick service meals and 1 snack per person per night of your stay. The plus dining plan offers 1 table service, 1 quick service, and 1 snack per person per night of your stay. And the deluxe dining plan offers three meals of any combination, and two snacks per person per night of your stay. Each guest on the dining plan also receives a refillable mug. My family always uses the dining plan because of the convenience of having meals paid for already, it also gives us the opportunity to dine at places that we would not if we were to pay out of pocket. This is a great splurge and it certainly makes a difference in your vacation.
- Take a Tour – There are so many behind the scenes tours that there is bound to be something that interests you. From Behind the Seeds at Epcot where you can learn about what goes on in the Land Pavilion, to the Wild Africa Trek where you go behind the scenes in Animal Kingdom on a private safari, to The Keys to Kingdom where you go behind the scenes at Magic Kingdom. There really is something for everyone. My husband and I went on the Wild Africa Trek and it was amazing, it was completely worth the extra money that we spent on it. All of these tours will certainly add magic to your trip.
Did we miss one? What experiences do you splurge on for your Disney World trip? Let us know in the comments!
My name is Miriya Whitaker, I am a travel agent with World of Magic Travel, a writer for Chip and Co and Disney Addicts. I would be more than happy to help you figure the right cruise destination for you, as well as when the best time is for you and your family sail, and to help you plan and book your next magical vacation! Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org to start planning and follow me on Facebook for more Disney and travel information!
Let our friends at Destinations to Travel help you plan your next Disney Vacation! Just fill out the form below and someone will be in touch! Remember their services are 100% Free!