Is your teen ready to go it alone at Walt Disney World Resort? Small children see the Parks through pixie dusted lenses. Everything is magical and memorable and perfect. As they age, though, a little of that pixie dust wears off. A Disney trip may still be fun, but tagging along with Mom and Dad and little siblings can be a drag.
The teenagers I know keep their love of The Most Magical Place on Earth alive by stepping out on their own. They taste some independence, and they discover the World’s not so small after all when you’re free to fly solo.
I have a teenager, and yes, I have set him loose to take on the World sans Mom and Dad. He wasn’t completely alone; we were still on property. However, he was responsible for his own whereabouts and welfare. He had a handful of cash for snacks and souvenirs, plus his Key to the World, which was loaded with Disney Dining credits if he needed more substance, and he was ready to go. Not once did I worry, because we had established some boundaries beforehand.
The bare basic minimum our teen needed to know was
- Keep your cell phone handy, charged up, turned on and up loud (silenced during shows, of course).
- Check in at designated times throughout the day.
- Seek out a costumed Cast Member with a name badge if you need help.
- Know your Resort and room number.
- Stay with your group/friends.
- Unless a specific rendezvous is planned, know the time the last bus leaves, and DON’T MISS IT!
- Be respectful of other Guests and appreciative of Cast Members.
Those moments in the Parks with friends are now some of my son’s greatest Disney memories.
Keep in mind that Walt Disney World is a big place! Make sure teens are familiar with maps and know which mode of transportation will get them back “home” at the end of the day. They may ignore this reminder, but comfort trumps fashion here, for girls especially. Heels and platforms, stylish as they are, will ruin the fun.
Alright, are you ready? Off they go! And don’t forget the PhotoPass!
Has your teen taken on the World? Share your tips and advice in the comments below.
- Free Dining Begins- Disney Visa Holders First! (chipandco.com)
- HGTV Summer Memories Sweepstakes (chipandco.com)