My trip September 2010 was full of magic. It was the first trip ever for my best friend and my first trip in nearly a decade. Since we figured this was the last time we would get to go to Disney for a very long time we decided to go BIG. We wanted to stay in a deluxe resort.
At first we had our hearts set on the Animal Kingdom Lodge and the concierge level. But the best laid plans of mice and Dragyns always go awry. When I called the cast member he set me up in the Bay Lake Tower with a Magic View Studio… Awesome!
This would have been good enough for me but I started reading online that in Disney myth and legend there was such a thing as a surprise upgrade. Yes you read correctly “surprise upgrade”! These little bits of extra magic seemed like the Loch Ness monster or big foot. You know everyone talks about them but only a few have seen.
I asked around and combed the internet to see if there was something anything you could do to become one of the surprise upgraded few. Everyone had their theories; if you ask the cast member when there is no line, or if you checked in extra early, or if the planets aligned just so. But there really was no set way to guarantee an upgrade.
So I gave up and decided that a studio room in a deluxe villa was more than I could have hoped for and that I should just be happy.
Fast forward to my actual check-in. I go to online check-in line. – Wait did I forget to mention I did online check-in?! Oh well my experience wasn’t that great and it wouldn’t let me put in a room request! Which would have bothered me except…
“You’ve been upgraded to a one bedroom suite.” (Insert squeal of complete and utter happiness!)
Now I tell you all this story for a couple reasons. The first is to let you know that an upgrade like mine is not a myth. It is real and can happen to you! The second is to list a few reasons why I think I was upgraded and see if the magic can spread.
The Reasons I think I got a surprise upgrade:
1. Both my best friend and I were celebrating our birthdays. In other words Disney likes to make people who are celebrating stuff happy!
2. We were celebrating my best friend’s first ever Disney trip. Disney realizes that the first trip is the most memorable and if the first trip rocks you will most likely come back.
3. It was an off time of year. We went in early September. There weren’t a lot of special events going on. The crowds were very low. Disney had room to spare and we were there to pick up the key!
4. We spent a LOT of money on this trip. Yeah… I won’t go into details there.
Keep this in mind and may your next Disney stay be magical! (Upgrade or not.)
- Wednesday with Walt: Spreading the Magic (chipandco.com)
- Win a Free Disney Vacation from About.com (chipandco.com)
Let our friends at Destinations to Travel help you plan your next Disney Vacation! Just fill out the form below and someone will be in touch! Remember their services are 100% Free!