This year surprise mom with a delicious breakfast like this Tonga Toast!
This decadent dish is perfect to surprise the queen of the house this Sunday, it features banana stuffed sourdough bread, battered, deep-fried, and dusted with cinnamon sugar.
You can usually find it at Disney’s Polynesian Resort but you can make it at home by following this easy recipe:
- 3/4 cup and 1 tbsp of sugar
- 4 cups of vegetable oil for frying
- 3 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 1/3 cup of whole milk
- 2 bananas
- 4 eggs
- 1 loaf of unsliced sourdough bread
- Combine 3/4 cup of sugar and 2 tsp cinnamon in a small bowl. Stir until well mixed. Set aside.
- Using caution, heat 3 inches of vegetable oil to 350F in a deep heavy pot over medium-high heat.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, cinnamon and sugar in a medium bowl.
- Slice sourdough loaf into four 3 inch slices. Cut a 2 inch pocket in the middle of each sourdough slice. Set aside.
- Cut the bananas into quarters. Stuff 2 banana quarters into each sourdough slice.
- Dip sourdough slices into the egg mixture one at a time. Making sure to soak both sides in the batter.
- Fry battered slices until golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes, turning as soon as they brown on one side. Remove with tongs and place on paper towels to drain.
- Coat the fried toast in the cinnamon sugar mixture and enjoy!
Add some fresh fruit, juice and a hand-made card and surprise mom with a Mother’s Day tray!
Credit: Disney Parks