Shanghai Disney Resort is set to host a multi-day Donald Duck Celebration! To celebrate one of the most popular Disney characters worldwide, who is also a fan favourite of many Asian guests of all ages since the opening of Shanghai Disney Resort. To honour his birthday, which is on the 9th of June, Shanghai Disney will host a multi-day celebration from the 3rd- 9th June. This celebration promises a plethora of Donald-inspired merchandise, food, beverages, entertainment and much more throughout the resort!
Donald Duck created by Walt Disney himself debuted in “The Wise Little Hen” in “Silly Symphony” back in 1934 and has been adored by hundreds of thousands of Asian guests since the resort’s opening in 2016. This one-of-a-kind duck has made so many laughs, smile and quack! Did you know that in 1936, Donald Duck appeared in a comic in The China Press alongside other Walt Disney cartoon characters offering Christmas greetings? After that, the loveable duck appeared in a number of cartoons and comic books throughout China and became a much-loved character due to his adorable fiery temper! Donald Duck made his TV debut on Chinese television with his pal Mickey Mouse in 1986. Broadcasting every week a 30-minute show on the China Central Television Network!
Since last year, a giant floating Donald Duck on Wishing Star Lake became the resort’s must-visit landmark! This year, to celebrate Donald Duck’s birthday from the 3rd-9th June. The Donald Duck meet and greet location in Shanghai Disneyland will feature a celebratory birthday decor, where Donald can welcome guests with a hug and a quack! Mickey Mouse will also celebrate Donald Duck’s birthday by handing over the baton for him to lead the Shanghai Disneyland Band- encouraging the cheeky duck to bring his charm and humour to the show as it parades down Mickey Avenue! On the 9th June, there will also be a special birthday ceremony near the Storyteller Statue featuring Donald Duck and his friends, Mickey, Minnie, Daisy, Goofy and Pluto. Guests will be encouraged to join the celebration and sing “Happy Birthday” to Donald!
Shanghai Disney Resort will also be introducing new, memorable Donald-inspired merchandise offerings. This will include new “Cute” Donald photo clips, pins, cross-body bags and T-shirts which will complement the already adorable “Cute” merchandise Collection. Guests will also find an amusing new Donald headband, featuring Donald’s feet flipping backwards in the air.
The celebration does not stop there! Guests can find an exciting assortment of Donald Duck-themed food and beverages, including ice creams, waffles, speciality drinks in souvenir goblets to take home! Shanghai Disney Resort will also spread the magic for those wishing to celebrate their birthday through the new special birthday packages! The packages feature a bountiful birthday feast, special beverages, a birthday cake featuring some of the most popular Disney characters—including Donald Duck, and fantastic birthday party fun, with a variety of options available.
How does Shanghai Disney know how popular Donald Duck is amongst Asian guests? Well here are some facts:
- Every year, around 150,000 guests visit Shanghai Disney Resort to meet Donald Duck at the character meet and greet locations.
- Around 5 million guests have visited the 11-meter-tall Giant Donald Duck on Wishing Star Lake since its inauguration on July 9, 2018.
- Donald’s Waffles are one of the top-selling desserts in the park. If you stacked up all of the plain Donald’s Waffles sold at the resort since its Grand Opening, the waffle tower would be 18 times taller than the Enchanted Storybook Castle.
- Donald’s Duckburg Ices are one of the most popular ice-creams available in the park. If you lined up all of the Donald’s Duckburg Ices sold at the resort since its Grand Opening, the popsicles would stretch around the Shanghai Inner Ring Road 3.76 times.
- There are over 100 different kinds of Donald Duck-themed merchandise items available at Shanghai Disney Resort.
- The most popular Donald-themed merchandise items at Shanghai Disney Resort include Donald mini body hats, crossbody bags, mugs, Sleepy Donald headbands, and plush toys of all kind.
Wow, this event sounds amazing at Shanghai Disney, as it hosts the ultimate Donald Duck celebration!
- Guests can now eat and drink again while walking outdoors at Disney World - May 16, 2021
- Skip the theme parks. Violet Sake is now available in Disney Springs! - April 3, 2021
- Meet the Women Behind the Magic at Walt Disney World - March 28, 2021