If you liked out last recipe, Pumpkin Cheesecake, then you are going to love the the second recipe in this pumpkin-licious series…Pumpkin Twists! These crispy, flaky pastries melt in your mouth with an amazing pumpkin filling and are a fall staple on the west coast! They are perfectly portable so you can walk and munch at the same time, never missing a beat! You can normally find these tasting little temptations at Troubadour Tavern, Maurice’s Treats and Cozy Cone Motel (the first 2 at Disneyland and the last in Disney’s California Adventure)
Now you can try your hand at these delicious delicacies right in your own kitchen! Why not whip up a batch and share them with your family and friends? I guarantee that you will become their favorite person…right after the first bite (if you weren’t already)!! Check out the recipe below:
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice, divided
1 tablespoon instant pectin
1 cup pumpkin puree
3 (17.3-ounce) boxes (6 sheets) frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 tablespoon milk
1/2 cup sanding sugar
- Combine brown sugar, granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, and instant pectin in a medium bowl. Stir in pumpkin puree until well combined. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Place one sheet of puff pastry onto a lightly floured, movable, flat surface, such as a lightweight cutting board.
- Lightly dust surface of pastry with flour and roll lightly just to smooth creases.
- Spread with 1/3 cup of pumpkin mixture, stopping 1/4-inch from edges.
- Roll a second sheet of puff pastry on a lightly floured surface to smooth creases; place on top of first sheet and press down gently. Repeat process two more times with remaining pastry sheets and remaining filling.
- Refrigerate filled pastry 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick silicone mat.
- Working with one filled pastry at a time, cut into 1 1/2-inch strips.
- Place strips on baking sheet spacing about 1/2-inch apart. Carefully lift strips and twist each 3 times before laying down. (Leave remaining filled pastry in refrigerator until ready to bake.)
- Mix together coarse sugar and remaining 1 tablespoon pumpkin spice.
- Beat egg and milk together in a small bowl. Using a pastry brush, brush each twist with egg wash and evenly sprinkle evenly with coarse sugar mixture.
Bake 22 to 24 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown. Cool on baking sheet 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat process two more times, cutting and baking one remaining filled pastry at a time.
Cook’s Notes: To make pumpkin pie spice at home, combine 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon, 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg, 2 teaspoons ground ginger, and 1 teaspoon ground allspice.
Just in case you aren’t sure what sanding sugar is exactly, let me explain…it’s larger, polished grains of sugar that are approximately 4x larger than regular granulated sugar and looks perfectly pretty on the top of a pastry! Since the sugar is larger they tend to sparkle in the light and add a tasty crunch to the pastry, even staying whole and not melting during baking! It’s a great addition to those items that you would like to give a little shine and sparkle to!
Once you have tried your hand at this flaky masterpiece, comment below and let us know how many new friends you made! Have you tried the recipe with a different filling? If you have, let us know how that turned out too!
These recipes sound amazing! Are you ready to take a trip to Disneyland and Disney’s California Adventure to taste this goodies in person? Well, if you need help planning your adventure, let me know and I will be happy to give you the benefit of my knowledge! Send me an email if you have any questions or if you would like help planning, firstname.lastname@example.org, now let the magic begin!!
Let our friends at Destinations to Travel help you book your next Disney Vacation. They are the preferred Travel Agency of Chip and Company and Disney Addicts, and who we use ourselves.
Get started below for your FREE No Obligation Quote.
Book With our friends at Destinations to Travel
For the BEST in Disney, Universal, Dollywood, and SeaWorld Theme Park News, Entertainment, Merchandise & More follow us on, Facebook, Instagram, and Youtube. Don't forget to check out the Chip and Company Radio Network too!