Living with the Land
This Epcot ride can be found in Future World at the Land Pavillion. Go to the Lower Level near the Soarin’ and Sunshine Seasons Food Court. This family friendly ride is a boat tour behind the scenes Greenhouse tour of Disney’s innovative, agricultural advances. It begins with a dark video tour of a tropical rainforest, desert region and the American plains. You are then moved into the laboratory portion of the ride where you will find the following:
- The Tropical Greenhouse-Crops like rice, sugare cane, peanuts, and others are grown in the 60 ft dome greenhouse.
- Aquacell–All about Fish-farming featuring tilapia, shrimp and more fish species. Most are served at the Coral Reef Restaurant in the Seas Pavilion.
- Desert Greenhouse–Featuring crops grown in temperate climates. Here is where you will find a nine-pound lemon!
- String Greenhouse-Here you will learn about vertical growing techniques. Tomatoes, Gourds and Eggplants are grown in trellises. Most exciting for kids (and kids at heart) are the cucumbers and pumpkins grown in the famous Mickey shape. The Land Pavillion’s Garden Grill and Sunshine Seasons benefit from the food grown here.
- Creative Greenhouse–Various lettuces and herbs are grown using Aeroponics. Their roots exposed to air and a fine water mist to promote growth.
The ride is about 14 minutes long and is appropriate for all ages. There is no height restriction and is wheelchair accessible. The Disney FASTPASS option is available, however the ride wait is usually minimal.
This ride is for all ages and each person will find something that fascinates them. For the little ones the Mickey Pumpkins are a treat. Adults will appreciate all the ways Disney is working to improve crop growth and sustainability. Not to mention it’s pretty fun to see all the food growing out of their “normal” element. It’s a nice, cool way to take a break on a hot summer day.
Quick Tip: After the ride head over to Sunshine Seasons for lunch, dinner or a snack. Their food is fantastic and much of it is supplied by the Greenhouses.
Overall this ride is a “B+”.
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links. Also As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.