It’s been a whirlwind week for members of the Disney community since the entertainment company announced 28,000 layoffs. Orange County Mayor Jerry Demings says he will reopen the county’s Individual and Family Assistance Program.
He’s willing to reopen the benefits program in response to the massive layoffs at Walt Disney World. According to Demings, the program has assisted 30,000 residents with $30 million of financial benefits so far.
.@OCFLMayor says the Disney layoffs will accentuate the need for assistance
— Matthew Peddie (@matthew_peddie) October 1, 2020
Demings says Orange County still has about $56 million of the $243 million the county received from the CARES Act. He says the 6,700 newly unemployed workers from Walt Disney World will require a significant amount of assistance from the county. After all, Walt Disney World is the largest single-site employer in America. He recognizes how the layoffs will impact Central Florida.
“For me, it was sad news because some of those individuals who are laid off, they are friends, they are family, they are acquaintances. They are residents of our community. And so as such, what we have endeavored to do here is to try to make certain that we are providing the crisis assistance to fill the gap between the period of time that they find themselves as unemployed and employed.”
— Orange County Mayor Jerry Demings